1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from mainstream to a PRU

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by lovinthesummer, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I'm currently Acting Head of English in a mainstream school and have applied for a curriculum lead in English post in a PRU. Many of my students in my current, challenging school are referred to this unit and I'm fully aware of the types of students the unit gains.
    I do not enjoy my role currently, it's far too muc work and I certainly never wanted to be HOF. I have a very good relationship with our difficult students and am always getting comments on my relationships with students in observations, stating how positive they are.
    I've visited the PRU and really liked it. I'm ready for a new challenge and having trained at my current school, feel ready to wok with new people in a different environment. The PRU has had outstanding OFSTED reports since 2005 and the people I met on my visit were lovely and welcoming.
    At my current workplace, I've had many negatve comments about this possible move. SLT are saying it could damage my career. Any advice/experiences?

2. Yes it does make sense. I really enjoy working in special education because you get more contact time with the kids, which is what most of us go into teaching for in the first place. I think you know you'd really enjoy working in the PRU. Let us know how you get on!