1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from mainstream to a PRU (Secondary)

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by lovinthesummer, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I'm currently Acting Head of English in a mainstream school and have applied for a curriculum lead in English post in a PRU. Many of my students in my current, challenging school are referred to this unit and I'm fully aware of the types of students the unit gains.
    I do not enjoy my role currently, it's far too muc work and I certainly never wanted to be HOF. I have a very good relationship with our difficult students and am always getting comments on my relationships with students in observations, stating how positive they are.
    I've visited the PRU and really liked it. I'm ready for a new challenge and having trained at my current school, feel ready to wok with new people in a different environment. The PRU has had outstanding OFSTED reports since 2005 and the people I met on my visit were lovely and welcoming.
    At my current workplace, I've had many negatve comments about this possible move. SLT are saying it could damage my career. Any advice/experiences?

2. Hi,
    I'm currently Acting Head of English in a mainstream school and have applied for a curriculum lead in English post in a PRU. Many of my students in my current, challenging school are referred to this unit and I'm fully aware of the types of students the unit gains.
    I do not enjoy my role currently, it's far too muc work and I certainly never wanted to be HOF. I have a very good relationship with our difficult students and am always getting comments on my relationships with students in observations, stating how positive they are.
    I've visited the PRU and really liked it. I'm ready for a new challenge and having trained at my current school, feel ready to wok with new people in a different environment. The PRU has had outstanding OFSTED reports since 2005 and the people I met on my visit were lovely and welcoming.
    At my current workplace, I've had many negatve comments about this possible move. SLT are saying it could damage my career. Any advice/experiences?

3. And the people making the comment are going to loose somebody who can cope with the kids most people can't....
    Do what feels right for you and if you don't want to be a HOF then how can it damage your career anyways, maybe side stepping into a new place is what you need to get re-enthused.
    However,if you think you have too much work now be prepared for the additional workload you will face at the PRU where every child will need reviewing and re-reviewing in 50 page documents every few months, invidualised work and behaviour support etc....

4. Thanks for your reply. I can handle the workload, I think what I mean by that is that I won't be overseeing such a huge dept as I am now, plus there's no line managing/performance managing of staff or training NQT's. I'm fine with the planning, prep, data handling etc etc, I just don't fell like my curren position is right for me. I never really wanted it and feel I was kind of pressured by others to do it (SLT). It will only be myself and another English teacher at the unit and I know I will feel comfortable planning the curriculum/exams prep on a much smaller scale.
    I really like the idea of getting to know the students individually and working with small intimate groups.