1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from M6 to UPS 1

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by DaisysLot, Jul 7, 2011.

1. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Provided you have passed your performance management and submitted your application to progress through threshold by 31st August 2011, and this is accepted, you should progress to UP1 in September 2011.

Thereafter progression is every 2 years from UP1 - UP2 - UP3......

2. I was very interested to read this as I was actually skimming the posts before submitting my own question.
    Ginster - How soon after applying did your HT get back to you?
    DaisysLot - For what reasons can you be refused progression, and do you get feedback from HT regarding this?
    I (and several others) met with HT in October 2010 regarding threshold. I duly sent him a letter asking to be considered and since than absolutely nothing.
    I was concerned that he did not get my application as he did not acknowledge, but spoke to him and he has it.
    Again - nothing from him to any of us. The worry is that the school is in financial trouble and we are risking redundancies.
    Is there a deadline by which the HT should acknowledge or reply to those who applied?
    Thanks in anticipation.

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

October 31st but there is absolutely no need for the head to wait that long.
    OP, it is not clear if your head told you it is not possible to pass through Threshold in your position or that YOU can not do it. If the latter you can appeal and make him justify his decision. If the former, he is wrong.
    Either way, once you have got the position straight, contact your union for support fighting this - if that is your intention.

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Provided your 'application', though it's not so rigorous an application process anymore, has been accepted on time and you can show you meet the standards to progress inclusive of your performance management cycles, there is no reason to withhold progression. While schools might be pressed for cash, that is not a valid reason. I went through several years ago - I had no advice or support or was even told how to apply, and it was a form back then, but submitted my application and had a letter informing me I had passed in the October. My guess is that many schools will work on the 'if they can't be bothered to find out and ask we won't bother making it well known how to apply' premise, if finances are an issue.