1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from M2 to M4 in September?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Physallis, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Hello! Just have a genuine question to ask. I'm in my NQT year in a shortage subject (science/chemistry) and love my job and school. I came to teaching after 8 years working in the field of education but not teaching. I took a post at M2 (although in a previous interview for a different school I was offered M3/M4) because I liked the school and wanted to work there and didn't want to come across as pushy/money grabbing etc. Obviously I still really like my school.
    Since starting, I have had two observations marked as good and three as outstanding including one during our recent ofsted inspection. I always get excellent feedback for activities I do other than teaching (after school club, good practice sharing, writing resources for others to use etc) and am well thought of in my department.
    In September it is likely that we will move to Academy status. My feeling is that this would be a good time to enquire into the possibility of missing out M3. People in my department close to me in age but with more teaching experience have suggested that this is worth trying for and several of them started on M3 in other schools. There is a non-qualified teacher with one more year's experience than me who is on M3 now and may move to M4 by end of academic year. Before anyone says it, I know I should have/could have negotiated more when I first started but I didn't want to give the school the wrong impression about me - it's not about the money.I just wondered what people thought my chances were now?

2. Hello! Just have a genuine question to ask. I'm in my NQT year in a shortage subject (science/chemistry) and love my job and school. I came to teaching after 8 years working in the field of education but not teaching. I took a post at M2 (although in a previous interview for a different school I was offered M3/M4) because I liked the school and wanted to work there and didn't want to come across as pushy/money grabbing etc. Obviously I still really like my school.
    Since starting, I have had two observations marked as good and three as outstanding including one during our recent ofsted inspection. I always get excellent feedback for activities I do other than teaching (after school club, good practice sharing, writing resources for others to use etc) and am well thought of in my department.
    In September it is likely that we will move to Academy status. My feeling is that this would be a good time to enquire into the possibility of missing out M3. People in my department close to me in age but with more teaching experience have suggested that this is worth trying for and several of them started on M3 in other schools. There is a non-qualified teacher with one more year's experience than me who is on M3 now and may move to M4 by end of academic year. Before anyone says it, I know I should have/could have negotiated more when I first started but I didn't want to give the school the wrong impression about me - it's not about the money.I just wondered what people thought my chances were now?

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

There is scope in the propvisions for moving more than one point up the scale on the basis of excellent performance. if you think you could demonstrate that, then there's certainly no harm in making further enquiries. It may be worth taking a look at your school's pay policy to see if it has any comment about such moves.

4. Thanks tafkam. Have had a look at my T&Cs and there is nothing specific about missing points on the pay scale. I have however found that my newly qualified OTT colleauge may well start on M5 with only one year's more experience than me. Who would be the best person to start enquiries with? Our HR person?

5. You can't use someone else as a reason why you should be paid more I'm afraid. You can make a case based on exceptional performance or perhaps look for a recruitment and retention allowance. You need to speak you your headteacher in the first instance although the changeover to academy will perhaps compleicate this.

6. Sorry if it seemed I was planning to base my argument on someone else's salary - not at all. I mention the other individual merely for comparative purposes and really more because I was "voicing" my own thoughts that this perhaps did not make my own request entirely preposterous. :)
    Can I just ask - why would change over to academy make it more complicated? I don't know if it's relevant but we used to be grant maintained and all our salaries are paid by the school rather than the LA.

7. Changing to an academy often means the Headteacher has to reapply for their own job and may not get it so prior negotiations with that Head may be worthless. The governing body also changes.

8. We've been told nobody will need to reapply for their jobs (including HT) and our governing body won't be changing. Ah well - will double check.