1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from KS3/4 to KS5

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by mbeltran, Sep 26, 2015.

1. mbeltran

mbeltran New commenter

I have been working now for 5 year teaching mostly KS3 and some KS4 (low ability groups). After 5 years controlling behaviour is draining me. I want to challenge myself in a different way, more about what I teach and how I deliver that instead of spend most of my time waiting for students to listen. My training is in Middle schools but I have a PhD in Biology, and recently I took a course of How to teach A level biology for the first time. The only thing is that I did my MSc, BSc and Secondary School abroad, so I did not take A levels. I want to move to teach KS5 could you tell me please:

How easy is to make the move from KS3/4 to KS5?
    I have been observing lesson but it is there any way of gaining experience?

Thanks you for the advice

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Ok two main questions here . . .

Q1 Not too easy, which is why schools that are 11-6 do not provide an ideal springboard for moving to an 11-18 school.

Q2 The only way to gain experience is to actually teach A-levels. But to do that you must be able to persuade someone that you, with Middle-School training, with lower-ability pupil experience, no experience of having yourself done A-levels, and no experience of teaching A-levels, are a good bet. That you would be able to teach their students successfully. You might find an IB school, but there would be the same problem.

The other point is that Biology is a lot less in demand than Physics or Chemistry . . .

Really all you can do is try the waters. If you are willing to be geographically mobile you may have more chance, so cast your net wide, all over the country, and include FE Colleges too.

Good luck

3. Lynn Whitmore

Lynn Whitmore New commenter

I agree with Theo and believe that you would have more chance with an FE College. Your identity is far more fluid, in an FE College to a school. I work for a Sixth Form/FE College and individuals who have Geology degrees teach Business and Law teachers have taught Philosophy etc all very successfully. Obviously the number of FE Colleges offering A Levels is not as extensive as schools.

4. skvo

skvo New commenter

At my first school HoD blocked me from teaching A level giving me mainly lower sets of KS3 (I was good with them she said :). It didn't suit me and I left. Found supply post in college teaching mainly A level and a bit of KS4. Now I work in independent school teaching only A level students. Happy with it.
    I didn't do A levels or degree in this country - but my subject is in demand. You have PhD - independent schools (in my experience) like their teachers have higher qualifications. Don't put up with the school and management that ignores your and your aspirations - it might be not very easy to move, but it is possible.

Good luck