1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from KS2 to EYFS?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by moonprismpower, Jan 18, 2016.

1. moonprismpower

moonprismpower New commenter

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum fir this thread so please move it if I'm in the wrong one.

I'm a second year teacher in year 4, where I also did my nqt year. I did a school based pgce (primary 5-11) with placements in year 1, 2 and 4.

An opening has come up in foundation at my school and my headteacher has said to let her know if anyone is interested. I am considering putting myself forward because I would like the opportunity. I am however apprehensive that it is a big jump and I have no EYFS training.

In your experience/opinion, is this too big a move? Will I be able to pick up the EYFS curriculum? Am I mad?

Thank you in advance x

2. moonprismpower

moonprismpower New commenter

Just realised this should be in Career Clinic and don't know how to take it down.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You won't be able to 'pick up' EYFS curriculum, but you certainly can learn about it, applying what you know about learning to that age range.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Why don't you post this on both the Primary and the Early Years forums? Scroll down to find them.

I'm sure that there you will find people to advise you.

Best wishes

5. inceywincey

inceywincey Occasional commenter

I'm sure you will be fine and it will be good experience for you.

From experience it will be very hard work. In the old days I trained to teach 3 - 11 and I have had time in all those age groups at some point or other. Starting in y1/2 when nobody wanted to teach them because the NC and SATs were new. I have gradually and determinedly crept ever upwards and now teach in a secondary school.
    Good luck if you have the energy you will love it.

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Go for it if it interests you. You have experience of YR1 so it isn't THAT big a leap. How would people ever get anywhere if they just stuck at the same old thing. Boring!

I trained as First school. R to YR 4. Started with YR 3 and then jumped to YR 7 (middle school system). Then into Special. KS3 and then 4 and then 5! No problem.

Take a quick look at the curriculum. Do it!

7. Jenkibubble

Jenkibubble Occasional commenter

I work in reception. Physically, it's very tiring - lots of repetition and meeting the needs of young children . However, the amount they learn and progress in their first year at school is mind-blowing. Read 'Development Matters', which pretty much sums up the EYFS and the ages and stages of children from birth to 5 years (end of reception)
    The key is that it is a play based curriculum i.e. you teach them, but then facilitate them to apply what they've learnt in their play) e.g. if you've taught number recognition 1-10, you might decide to hide some numbers in a sandpit , and see what they can remember etc. Similarly, in a role play area e.g. Doctors' surgery, you would put some signs / labels, to encourage them to apply their phonics knowledge and some opportunities for writing , so they can practise these skills.
    I hope this has helped .

Kartoshka and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

EYFS is at one end of the age spectrum of many primaries and probably a culture shock after year 4 but if your heart is best placed teaching that age group go for it!

As for 'picking up' the curriculum, the............ erm content should be manageable (lol!) - it will be all about the pedagogy and how to 'deliver' it to that age group!

grumpydogwoman and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Go for it. The worst the head will do is say no (well probably).
    But you'll love it I'm sure.

I had a similar conversation with my head recently, and I'm in my 20th year, having trained as a secondary maths teacher in the dark ages. If I can do it, then a bright young thing like you will have a ball.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I had a colleague years ago who 'worked her way down through the ages' finding, much to her surprise that R1 /yr 1 was 'her forte'!

11. grumpydogwoman

One of my best memories.

Supply. Music with R. 10 years ago now!!!

"Teddy is going to look for who's singing really nicely." I then model what I mean i.e .not shouting but opening your mouth and not mumbling either.

They all sit up like little angels and sing beautifully. Ahhh. And then teddy takes a tour round the rows!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Reception is all about teaching basic skills. Colleagues I've known who have previously taught in older year groups are often surprised by quite how basic some of these skills are. Just remember that everything children can do has to be learned somewhere, and that place is often Reception!

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  13. grumpydogwoman

It's a great privilege and needs really keen people to do it.