1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from Independent to State

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Livia13, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Livia13

Livia13 New commenter

I am in the process of writing a letter of application for a job as Teacher of Biology at a state school. I am currently working in the same position but in an Independent school and am wondering whether I should explain my reasons for the move from Independent to State in the letter of application or if it is not necessary?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

A school wants to know why you want THEM, rather than any vague generalism such as Maintained or Indy. So, apart from being state, and apart from being handily sited next door to where you drop off your two-year-old son, what is it about that particular school that chimes with you, what is it that they are looking for that you can offer specifically?

Best not to mention ever any of the negatives of your present post. I would wish to work in your school because in my current school the parents are very demanding and the HoD is always on my case about how I do my marking.

;)

Do read all the applications advice. If you can't find the set of articles, then tag me @TheoGriff and I'll give you the links.

Best wishes