1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from Independent sector to State

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sibbo26, Mar 3, 2017.

1. sibbo26

sibbo26 New commenter

Hi,

I've worked in private and state schools - and also international schools - but am looking to return to a primary school after 10 years working in the private sector.

I have lots of middle management experience and some SLT in a private school and am seeking advice on transferring this to a primary school. I was ready to apply for Deputy Head roles in the private sector before this constant yearning to return to state completely took over!

My perception is that this will not be an easy transition as I have not worked in a primary school recently and, though I keep up with all the developments, reading and latest thinking, the feeling must be from a Head of primary on receiving my application that I'll be out of the loop on too much?

Has anyone done anything similar, or is there a Head/Deputy of a primary who could give me their thoughts and advice on the next part of my journey...?

Many thanks!

2. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

I think it would depend a bit on the school. Some primaries are not that dissimilar to private - maybe bigger classes, but similar level of parental expectation and support. Other primaries are lovely, but you need to go in there with your eyes wide open and your behaviour management very firmly established. As a middle leader in a fab but challenging school, I have to say I'm not quite sure about how I would feel about a newly appointed DHT with limited experience of managing a school in my situation. Can't comment on a HTs opinion!