1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from HoD to AHT

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by seannyboyjoyce, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Can anybody give me any advice on making this transition? I am currently applying for AHT jobs, having 6 years experience as a HoD. Any advice on applications, interview questions or expectations of the role would be very welcome...

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Almost impossible, since we can't see the job descriptions of the AHT posts you're applying for and they tend to vary massively.
    Questions will usually be based on the job description, so your preparation for any interview should be focused on ensuring you're on top of all relevant issues related to it, plus all current issues affecting the management, leadership and improvement of your phase/type of schools.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This is the cue for me to tell you about the TES seminar on: Moving into Headship or SLT that will be run by TES Prime (the people who are contracted by Governing Bodies to manage the appointment of Heads, Deputies and AHTs), and yours truly (a consultant on school appointments).
    We will show you how to identify your personal strengths and weaknesses, how to assess if they meet what a school is looking for, how to present yourself in an application, how to understand the different parts of what may be a 2-day interview process, how to get your points over in an interview.
    So if it's not too late for your applications, you could break open your piggy bank and come along.
    W A R N I N G ! ! ! W A R N I N G ! ! ! W A R N I N G ! ! !
    We do NOT:
    • write an application for you
    • hand out sheets of example letters or model statements for you to copy
    • tell you what your beliefs and values should be
    • give you vision if you haven't got it
    • give suggested or model answers to interview questions
    • give you any answers at all, in fact
    If you want all that, don't come!
    Next one will be on Saturday 18th February, a half-day session either morning or afternoon, in central London.
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com
    People tell us that attending these seminars can be helpful:
    • Good news, I managed to secure an Assistant Headteacher post yesterday.
    • I was at the 'Moving into Headship' seminar and we spoke about my imminent interview. I thought I'd let you know that I was successful! My first interview for Headship, so I'm obviously delighted. The course was very very useful.
    • I am so glad that I attended the 'Moving into Headship' course - fantastic timing and great advice - got that job!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

4. Hi Theo, do you ever run courses outside London?