1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from HK...Teaching in Singapore!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by lsmayho, Apr 16, 2016.

1. lsmayho

lsmayho New commenter

Hi all!

So my fiancé and I are being moved to Singapore for his job, which starts in August (we will be getting married before we leave HK). We are British expats who both live and grew up in Hong Kong. I have a job at a good International school (ESF) over here but I am looking for a job in Singapore now.

Wondering what my best options are...should I leave my school at the end of this academic year (10weeks time/no penalty fee applies but also get none of my bonus) in order to look for a job while in Singapore if we move in July? Can I do supply teaching to get known at schools before getting an interview?
    Or should I stay at my current school until December (meaning I get some of my bonus as I have given 2 terms notice) and then come out to look for a job? Long distance isn't ideal but not a deal breaker!

Hong Kong is super competitive in terms of getting a teaching job and wondering if Singapore is the same!? I'm a newish teacher and have my PGCE + 2 years full time experience in IB PYP Lower years- is not having loads of experience a disadvantage?

Are the pay packages for international schools good?

Sorry for the millions of questions but would appreciate any help!! :) thanks!!

2. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

Hi Ismayho - I'm in SIngapore and happy to chat. Will start a "conversation" with you, then you can ask away. Yes, Singapore is super competitive, but I'm assuming you have lots of PYP experience, coming from ESF? That should stand you in good stead. Pay packages vary a lot - I'll give you the lowdown in the conversation :)

jdgoliath9 likes this.
  3. lsmayho

lsmayho New commenter

Hi migrating bird!
    Thanks so much for your response :) I am new to this and not sure how to start a "conversation"!

I got very lucky with ESF and did short term a maternity contract as a brand new teacher after my PGCE and that led to a full time contract. So I have 2 years experience in PYP. Do you think that's ok? What sort of schools are similar to ESF? When is the recruiting season?

I heard that if you come over on a dependent vide you can only to supply at 2 schools of your choice?

Thanks for your help! :)

4. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Recruiting season is usually December to March for international schools. I'm jealous as my partner and I would love to live/work in Singapore. The job market there is very competitive. Good luck with it!

5. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Not sure if it's the same case in HK/Singapore, but in many international schools local and overseas hire packages seem to be very different.

Ie. if you stay in HK and apply for Singapore jobs, you might be considered an overseas hire (with benefits such as flights, higher salary). If you're in HK and get hired, you might be considered local hire (with often smaller package).

Those teaching locally might be able to paint a more-specific picture.

6. lsmayho

lsmayho New commenter

Thanks guys!

Mainly just wondering if you think it's advisable that I move over with my fiancé in July and look for a job whilst there? How likely is it that supply work will lead to a full one position? That's the most popular route to take in HK.

I think I can only do supply at 2 schools on a dependent visa? Does anyone know anything about this? Wonder which ones are the best to go for! :)

7. migratingbird

@lsmayho - in the top right hand corner of the screen, (next to the search magnifying glass), you'll see your name, and your avatar. Hover your cursor over the avatar, and you'll see a few different options, conversations being one of them! Yes, you can do supply at two different schools on a DP. I know people who moved here then found jobs who were offered expat contracts, but I don't know if that's the norm. Am pretty sure it is, as teachers seem to move between schools, which they wouldn't do if they were moving from an expat to a local contract :) If you can find the conversation, I can discuss specifics, but can't name schools in the forum.

8. jdgoliath9

jdgoliath9 New commenter

Hello,

Sorry to hi-jack this conversation but myself and my partner are looking to move out to singapore for summer of 2018 and i was hoping for your advice on packages, housing and living? would you be happy to answer some of our questions?

Kind regards

9. migratingbird

jdgoliath9 likes this.
  10. jdgoliath9

jdgoliath9 New commenter

Thank you i appreciate all the help, i have just been reading up on TES guidelines and apparently i will not get the option to "start" a conversation until i have earned a higher badge, however people are able to start conversations with me, could you please send me a message so i am able to PM you?

Many Thanks

11. VS400

VS400 New commenter

Hi migratingbird. Sorry as you probably have enough of your plate (last week of school tho!) I was wondering if I could message you about schools in Singapore? Moving with husband so looking for bit of info on local hire if you know anything about that! Enjoy the last week!

12. migratingbird

As luck would have it, my hols have already started! I can give you the basics, yes. Am jetting off on my hols tomorrow eve, so the sooner you message the better, otherwise it might take me a while :)

VS400 likes this.
  13. VS400

VS400 New commenter

Will do. Lucky you guys! My cousins still have another week at the school linked with the private school in London. Will message you know