1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from 'Good' to 'Outstanding'

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by veni_vidi, Nov 24, 2011.

1. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

There was a good series of videos on Teachers TV about some teachers moving from good to outstanding. I'm not sure where they are now to post a link, are they all on TES now? I'll have a look if i have time, if not try googling it.

2. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, I used to teach in the UK, but now I am overseas. (You can read more of my mindless ramblings on the "Overseas Teaching" forum.)
    I just don't know how any of you young teachers cope any more in the UK. You all deserve a medal, a payrise and a large gin and tonic. (Or whisky, if you prefer.) In some ways it makes me happy to read postings from those who are still at the chalkface (sorry, whiteboardface) in the UK, as I think to myself, "Thank God I have escaped from that!" But then I feel sorry that so many enthusiastic, positive young teachers end up burnt-out, cynical and fed up. SMTs ought to be helping and encouraging new teachers, but nine times out of ten they just seem to make it worse.

4. jonnymarr

jonnymarr New commenter

For what it's worth...
    ...in my Local Authority the guidance is that NQTs should not be given Ofsted-style grades ( unless spefically requested by the NQT, in which case it's fine ) as the focus should be firmly on developing practice and meeting the induction standards rather than on judgements. It's a little patronising, I know, but the LA draw the parallel with how pupils react to grades versus constructive, formative feedback.
    Personally I think it's fine to aspire to be graded by someone else as 'outstanding' - but I'd far rather be known for being an 'effective' ( & inspiring?!? ) teacher and for getting my kids through their exams at the right grades. You'd think these aims would be one and the same....

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

AdrainBowen, I have sent you a PM.
    I think that many parents would regard teachers who do not go on strike as being "outstanding", but then again I suppose many teachers would not agree with this.
    When I did my teacher training, back in the early 14th century, there were these rather quaint and old-fashinioned things called government grants, but most young teachers these days do not seem to heard of grants. Instead they have something that is "outstanding" - a huge student debt. Could someone please explain to this slow-witted pachyderm how any young teacher is supposed to scrape together enough cash for a deposit on a house or even a flat? Instead of handing out these "outstanding" grades, perhaps Local Authorities could try to pay all teachers a proper salary?