1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from GCSE Business CCEA to WJEC in September - opinions/experience of this board?

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by choccymonster, May 18, 2012.

1. Hello,
    Following CCEAs decision to stop the delivery of GCSE exams in the UK I am searching for a new exam board for our next academic cohort.
    After looking through specs/past papers/controlled assessment WJEC seems to be the best option for my students. However after 8 years delivering CCEA and only experience of BTEC with Edexcel I'm not 100% sure!
    Has anyone experience delivering this spec? Any feedback either positive/negative in relation to results/controlled assessment experience from those of you who have delivered with them would be fab.

2. Hello,
    Following CCEAs decision to stop the delivery of GCSE exams in the UK I am searching for a new exam board for our next academic cohort.
    After looking through specs/past papers/controlled assessment WJEC seems to be the best option for my students. However after 8 years delivering CCEA and only experience of BTEC with Edexcel I'm not 100% sure!
    Has anyone experience delivering this spec? Any feedback either positive/negative in relation to results/controlled assessment experience from those of you who have delivered with them would be fab.

3. I am considering using WJEC exam board for the GCSE Applied Business Studies in Sept 2013. My interests are on views anyone may have on delivering this specification whether good or bad.

I too have contacted WJEC to make enquiries and was impressed with the communication and advice given. Would appreciate any other feedback please. Thank you

4. RKM

RKM

I'm starting this in September. I have looked at a lot of specs & I think this one will suit our kids the most. Over the last few years BTEC's were the be all & end all. With the new changes I think the WJEC is the best option for my kids. Has anyone started a SOW? Anyone want to work on one together? I am a one man band dept!

5. danlee

danlee New commenter

Overall I have been pleased, it's a nice spec to teach. Some of the more complex aspects have been taken out e.g. Liquidity ratios. There is lots of support material available too.

The only negative is that sometimes the CA is restrictive. We are doing the one where they have to compare and contrast the marketing mix of 3 businesses, I think 3 is too many for a 2000 word piece of work.