1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from full time to 0.8?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by cefoster, Jan 17, 2016.

1. cefoster

cefoster New commenter

Hi,

I'm looking for any advice/suggestions anyone could give me regarding a change in my teaching hours from full time to 0.8.

I've been teaching since 2010 and have been at my current school for 2 years as head of food technology. Just like many teachers I love my job but I'm finding the demands of the role, work load (particularly the marking and other admin tasks we're asked to do) and for me the single hour lessons taking their toll. (My previous job involved double lessons for practicals which are definitely better but unfortunately this not a possibility at my current workplace). I understand many other subjects only have single hour lessons but getting a class of 30 in, food prepped/cooked, washed up and out before the next class is very physically demanding. Plus not having a full time technician means that I am also having to clean up after the pupils, put washing on, set up for next practicals all within the same hour of the pupils cooking!

I've had a chat with my head regarding the possibility of reducing my hours to a 0.8 as I don't feel I am doing my job to the best of my ability and in all honesty I would like to have a bit of time for myself to keep on top of normal day to day chores at home which are also being neglected! He has said that there would be an opportunity to offer me this as of March/April and if I would like to accept this, to have my written application in by the beginning of Feb. My head explained that he would offer it as a full day rather than my hours being split over the 5 days. I'm just in the middle of working out what the repercussions will be on pay etc but would just like to know if anyone who has maybe done this already has any advice or suggestions regarding a 0.8 contract. Is it worth the drop in pay for that one day or do you find you're working on your day off? Is there anything else I should be aware of or possibly query/have confirmed in my application letter before my contract is changed?

Thanks.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there!

Firstly, that's great news that your Head is so receptive to this suggestion. And offering a full day off too - this is the icing on the cake! You are really lucky there.

But I do think that you could perhaps have thought about the money/workload issue before asking . . . He might be slightly peeved if, after having been so obliging, you then turn him down.

:(

I think that this will depend an awful lot on the subject, whether it is mainly practical or involves examination work, etc. Someone teaching non-examination P.E., for example, may find that they do have 80% of the work for 80% of the pay.

Applying to go part-time - for (almost) any employee from 30 June 2014

Best wishes

wanet likes this.
  3. cefoster

cefoster New commenter

Thank you for your reply. I thought that was very lucky too as I know many part time teachers hours are spread over the 5 days. The pay/workload was actually something I discussed with him as he said it was something I would need to think about, but he made it clear there was no pressure or expectation of me to officially apply for a reduced timetable if I changed my mind. He also mentioned it would be doing him a favour as it would mean one less redundancy next year for somebody else!

If I do choose to reduce my hours is it wise to ask for clarification about whether or not the hours would always be spread over 4 days and have it written and confirmed in my contract or is this something that probably couldn't be guaranteed down to staffing/timetable changes each year?

Thanks.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You could ask and you might be lucky

Best wishes

5. CharlieCharleston

CharlieCharleston New commenter

Hi @cefoster it's nice to read that your head is being supportive with you looking to go part time. Your post is very similar to my situation - however I'm a 2nd in department and teach all of Technology including GCSE Food and another subject at KS4. I also find the job exhausting and decided I wanted to reduce my hours to see if I could manage better before throwing in the towel.

My advice would be to check that your day off is a full day off and make it clear that this is what you are asking for - I have friends who have it spread out over 5 and they don't feel the benefit of being part time at all. Also check that you will still be able to hold your TLR for head of Food - my school tried to take mine off me for 0.8 however I managed to negotiate a 50% TLR which I wasn't overly happy about.

I would say that going part time has given me the head space I needed to carry out my job however I don't find it any less stressful. I am still expected to do everything like reports, marking, silly amounts of paperwork and pointless activity's but in less time. Also at my school part timers are seen as lesser than equal so be prepared for the snide comments from members of staff usually in your department about so and so that only works part time!!

You will be expected to attend INSET and parents evenings even on your day off although these should be paid (however you don't have to but it's normally an expectation). I have been part time since September last year and I have never done any work on my day off - I never will as I am not being paid although I now don't resent giving up my Sunday as much to do work.

I lost about £300 a month but mostly from the big hit of loosing half my TLR. I also pay less tax. You can work out what you may get on a salary calculator or ask your HR to work it out for you. It may sound like a lot of money but you can't put money on your sanity.

If you do decide to go for it you may have to discuss how your change in work pattern will affect the department and how you can ease the impact for example:

Split groups
    Who will manage food Tech on your day off?
    If you have a form who will have them on your day off?
    Who would cover your lessons on that day off?
    If it's a two week tt would you be prepared to have a different day off each week?

If you have any more questions please feel free to PM me.

Personally for me it was the best thing I ever did and I don't think I will ever go back to FT teaching. It's lovely knowing I have a day off in the week and that I can really enjoy my weekends. I can see friends and family more often instead of just in the holidays and I feel like I have a bit of my life back.

Best of luck :)

sabrinakat likes this.
  6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If this is an issue to you, then I think you should ask for it in writing. If it isn't then it could easily change in future, especially if the Head leaves. It is worth pointing out that, even if nobody else is appointed to do the other 20% of your TLR, you are still (under STPCD) paid only 80% of its value, even if you end up doing all the work. Unfair maybe, but that's the rule.

7. shinyshapter

shinyshapter New commenter

Hi
    Previously, I was a HOD for Drama and I went down to 0.8 as I had returned full time after having my second child and was finding it difficult. Make sure you use your time off for yourself! You will always have work to do - part timers around the UK would tell you that they do work when they're off, in the same way that full timers do work at home.
    You have to make your job work for you, if you are taking some time away to ease the pressure, look after yourself, that's definitely worth a drop in pay.
    One day a week makes all the difference, my kids are older now and I'm full time again but I miss my day off!
    good luck