1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from FS2 to Y1-What should no Y1 Classroom be without?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by c0ldplay, Jul 20, 2015.

1. c0ldplay

c0ldplay New commenter

I have been teaching in EYFS for 5 years and haven't opened a National Curriculum for the same amount of time! (Oops!) SO, I would be grateful if anyone could give me any Y1 hints/tips regarding the essential and useful resources you couldn't do without in a Y1 classroom. Also, what might a typical day look like?

The previous Y1 teacher struggled a bit with the Autumn term as he wasn't used to continuous provision for those still working within EYFS goals. I think I am going to struggle with the formality of Y1. Any help gratefully received!

2. Continuous provision! Blocks, sand, water, home corner, small world, workshop area...typical day would have opportunities for accessing continuous provision - with 'challenges' highlighted for children to do

3. kbewell

kbewell New commenter

I would definitely recommend your usual continuous provision. Look carefully or use your knowledge of where the children's needs are. I.e. If they are low in creative. Set up areas which will develop creativity. There's no need for a water tray if all your children can pour and say full and empty! If you have children who need fine motor development set up areas to develop that.

4. c0ldplay

c0ldplay New commenter

Thank you so music for these, any other ideas greatly appreciated!