1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from FS to Y1 - advice please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nearly qualified, May 3, 2011.

1. Hi
    I have taught FS for 4 years now since I qualified and have really enjoyed my time in that class. I am due to start my maternity leave in Summer and will be returning in January where I will also be moving in to Y1.
    I am really looking forward to the move and think it will do me good to have a change but I am also worried about how different it is to FS - I have never taught Y1 before and am slightly worried about the difference in curriculum and levels etc.
    Has anyone who has made this move got any advice?
    Obviously I will research the curriculum and other bits but with a new baby on the way I can imagine that my time will be limited!
    Thanks in advance x

2. Hi
    I have taught FS for 4 years now since I qualified and have really enjoyed my time in that class. I am due to start my maternity leave in Summer and will be returning in January where I will also be moving in to Y1.
    I am really looking forward to the move and think it will do me good to have a change but I am also worried about how different it is to FS - I have never taught Y1 before and am slightly worried about the difference in curriculum and levels etc.
    Has anyone who has made this move got any advice?
    Obviously I will research the curriculum and other bits but with a new baby on the way I can imagine that my time will be limited!
    Thanks in advance x

3. Hiya! Ive been up and down between Nursery, Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 for years now! It depends on how your school run year 1, ours is very similar to Reception in the the Autumn term meaning the children still get free access time but obviously the demands of Literacy and Numeracy are quite different! I found the change after Christmas to be the hardest when free access was lost and our timetable became much more intense with hardly any free time to do the little things you can do in FS (have a royal wedding party for example!) Our afternoons are now full of topic work but to be honest i quite like it. Are you going up with your class? I did that this year and i love seeing how far they have come since i first met them at the start of Reception! You should be fine, the renewed framework took me a while to get my head around but thats changing again soon so i wouldnt worry about that for a while! Good luck with rest of your pregnancy - how exciting! :)

4. HI, thanks
    Yes when i return it will be to my current class which cannot have worked out better as they are a lovely lovely class of children so I am happy about that and like you said it will be nice to see how much they come on.
    Obviously the 1st term I will not be there when it is more play based like FS so I am gutted I am going to miss that part but I (think)- don't know how it will work though having never done it before!) that I would like to keep quite a lot of the elements of FS running throughout the year - maybe I am being unrealistic as I know there is a lot to get through - I suppose I am coming at it with my FS head on.
    I know the current Y1 teacher finds it difficult to fit everything into the timetable too - i suppose that will be one of the hardest things as I am used to doing things at a more relaxed pace in FS.
    I am sure it will be fine - just a lot to get my head around. x