1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from FE to be a Cover Supervisor - Anyone done this?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by zakbrown1900, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Hello

I have got a BSc, MSc and PGCE in FE and a few
    years teaching experience in colleges on a hourly paid basis. When I
    first completed my PGCE in FE I was a supply teacher in schools for a
    year

As there are no FE jobs where I live I am very
    tempted to go for a cover supervisor post I have seen in the local
    paper. The salary seems reasonable. My thinking is that it might be a
    good way to get recent experience in a school and then move into
    teaching in schools. In addition I have got a young son so it seems
    ideal to get the long holidays.

Has anyone got any experience of changing roles from a lecturer to a cover supervisor? Would you be willing to share your experiences (good sides, bad sides, stress increase/decrease, if you find it enjoyable, etc).

Thanks

2. Hello

I have got a BSc, MSc and PGCE in FE and a few
    years teaching experience in colleges on a hourly paid basis. When I
    first completed my PGCE in FE I was a supply teacher in schools for a
    year

As there are no FE jobs where I live I am very
    tempted to go for a cover supervisor post I have seen in the local
    paper. The salary seems reasonable. My thinking is that it might be a
    good way to get recent experience in a school and then move into
    teaching in schools. In addition I have got a young son so it seems
    ideal to get the long holidays.

Has anyone got any experience of changing roles from a lecturer to a cover supervisor? Would you be willing to share your experiences (good sides, bad sides, stress increase/decrease, if you find it enjoyable, etc).

Thanks

3. I did things the other way round. Started off as a CS, then did my PGCE Post Comp and am teaching in FE.
    I originally started off as a supply CS and loved it - lots of variety, staff were always really supportive an the pay was excellent, £80 a day! I then took on a perm contract with a school I went to on supply and it was awful. Once the pupils and staff knew I was a CS rather than assuming I was a supply teacher their attitudes completely changed. I was given no respect, the behaviour of the pupils was horrendous and their was no support from SLT. After asking a young lad to put his mobile phone away I explained that I would have to take it off him if he continued messing around and was told 'if you do that I'll kick your f***ing head in!' The lad didn't even get a detention as he was on a behaviour management plan [​IMG]) and the Head didn't believe in excluding pupils. CS's were often used to cover long term absences - the Deputy Head broke her leg and was off for two months and I was asked to cover her GCSE English classes throughout her absence despite only having a GCSE in the subject and no teacher training. I only managed a term and got out as soon as could.