1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from FE back to Secondary

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by Flanks, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

A post has come up at a local secondary for which I believe I am a strong candidate. It is similar in size to the job I currently perform. However, due to FE banding and lack of TLRs etc, my salary will look wrong for the responsibility I currently carry. For comparison, I currently earn approx 12k less than the role for which I am looking to apply.

Another query is that my job role in FE is not named similarly to the equivalent role in a secondary school. Therefore it may not be immediately obvious that I currently occupy this level of responsibility and skill set.

So question is, to anyone here who has made the move this direction previously: Has you done so with a similar pay discrepancy? And has you done it where job titles do not match even though responsibility does? If so, is there any advice on how to word my covering letter to ensure that they recognise my current skill set and experience?

Many thanks in advance.

2. nevilleat

nevilleat New commenter

One question. Do you have QTLS? Most schools will require this if you are to be considered. You will need to sign up with Society for Education and Training to get this. I have been trying to secure a job in the secondary sector for some 6 years now and it's tough. Schools are, in the main, a bit aloof when it comes to teachers you have taught in the FE sector. Hope this helps.

cys2017 likes this.
  3. Flanks

Yes I do have full QTS, I originally gained my PGCE and then moved to FE later.

I did get an interview which is coming up in a couple of weeks, so whatever I wrote in the letter did something right!

4. cookiemonster611

cookiemonster611 New commenter

Hi, congrats on your interview! The QTS and PGCE should suffice hence the interview-Well done!

Never the less, if the job description matches your experience then I would assume the school have looked into that. As educators, we gain a lot of transferable skills hence I believe experience should count towards your benefit- but that is just me talking.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :)

5. Flanks

Made it to last two applicants, from starting four. In hindsight I think just two questions undid me in final interview, which I would answer differently next time. Excellent feed back, have be a lot of confidence about making this move back to secondary if another good job comes up!

6. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Well done Flanks.
    Sorry you didn’t get it this time, but with your positive and constructive approach you’ll be in a very strong position for the next one.

I always think of the first interview in a different setting to be a fact finding exercise.

Good luck!

cazzmusic1 and Flanks like this.
  7. cys2017

cys2017 Occasional commenter

Hi out of interest do you have a qtls? I have just recently completed my pgce in fe three weeks ago so am curious as I am also planning on doing a qtls... has it taken you 6 years with a qtls?

8. Flanks

Hi guys, update. I applied for another job and received an interview. Interview was today and I was offered the job, absolutely thrilled!

NewbieHoD, cazzmusic1 and MarieAnn18 like this.
  9. cookiemonster611

cookiemonster611 New commenter

WOW! Huge Congrats @Flanks. knew you would be successful after your positive experience at your first interview! Gives all of us hope that we could move into a school setting after working in FE.

Honestly I would love to go back and try it once more but not just at this moment in time.

Once again well done!

cazzmusic1 and Flanks like this.
  10. nevilleat

nevilleat New commenter

I haven’t, currently doing my QTLS. It hasn’t taken me 6 years! It’s taken me 6 years to find a school that will support me!