1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from BTEC L2 to OCR Cambridge L2

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by cyberjelly, Apr 19, 2012.

1. cyberjelly

cyberjelly New commenter

Hi, after attending one of the lovely BTEC launches for the new BTEC Level 2 course we are looking at moving away from them.
    The studnets that I teach will not be able to cope with an online exam, extended teaching hours wont fit our timetables and there is too much uncertainty about whats going on with them.
    We are looking at taking on the OCR Cambridge Level 2 Ex Cert and Diploma.
    What are peoples thoughts on these qualification?

2. cyberjelly

cyberjelly New commenter

Hi, after attending one of the lovely BTEC launches for the new BTEC Level 2 course we are looking at moving away from them.
    The studnets that I teach will not be able to cope with an online exam, extended teaching hours wont fit our timetables and there is too much uncertainty about whats going on with them.
    We are looking at taking on the OCR Cambridge Level 2 Ex Cert and Diploma.
    What are peoples thoughts on these qualification?

3. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Well there is an exam in this course (OCR CNAT's) however there is compensation across the units and all equally balenced so possible to get through even if pupils do badly at the exam - we are doing it!

4. cyberjelly

cyberjelly New commenter

<font size="2">Having looked into this more closely and discussed it with other level 2 subject teachers I am thinks of staying with BTEC's (better the devil you know).</font><font size="2">I am hoping this will stop the college putting the big influx of Nepalese students who live local but have very poor English level from getting plonked on the course because we need the numbers.</font> <font size="2">So have ordered the course book and will see what \i think over this year before making a big decisions.</font>

5. By "New BTEC" are you referring to the I&CT? Looks like a great course, just a shame that it doesn't count in the 2014 league tables. Maybe the year after...

6. cyberjelly

cyberjelly New commenter

As I teach at a college wew are not bothered by the league tables.
    Think I may need lots of training to teach it though

7. I was in the same position Cyber Jelly. Looked at OCR and new BTEC. I think with some bedding in the new BTEC will be ok, and is much better for progression on to a BTEC at Level 3 (if you do this).

Plus, the exam for the new BTEC is electronic, which I think does make a difference to the mindset, certainly of my pupils

8. cyberjelly

cyberjelly New commenter

Think I may stay with the BTEC, as I am also hoping it will improve the type of students that I get on the course.
    AT present anyone with no qualification is placed on the L2 IT course as its seen as an easy course to do, dispite their lack of English skills.

9. Hi, I have just started a PGCE (PCERT) and have been given a class on the new OCR Cambridge Technical level 2, unit 5 the college has introduced this year. Being all new to me would anyone have any lesson plans I could use as a guide or any gems of wisdom to point me in the right direction? not sure really how to plan the unit over 18 weeks. My email is stockers72@gmail.com. Thanks