1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving from 2 to 3 classes in KS2 and planning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sceccles, Apr 3, 2020.

1. sceccles

sceccles New commenter

Hi there,
    We are opening a third class in KS2 and I was wondering if anyone has ideas for curriculum planning with a Y3/4, Y4/5 and a Y5/6 class.

We did have a Y3/4 class and a Y5/6 class
    working on a two year planning cycle but this would mean that some children would miss out on parts of the curriculum, or duplicate parts when we move to 3 classes. Has anyone any experience or ideas please?
    Thanks in advance.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Years ago when I was in a school that did this, the 4/5 class just did their own thing to a large extent.
    Maths and English were taught from where the children were at, so made no difference.
    3/4 and 5/6 kept the two year rolling programme of topics.
    The 4/5 class did totally different topics, but covered the year 4 and 5 objectives, just in a different context.

Seemed to work well.

3. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Hmmm... tricky one...

4. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

I feel I need to make an Excel spreadsheet to explore this one...

I think the best solution is going to be something like a four-year rolling cycle for everyone.

Lara mfl 05 and bonxie like this.
  5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Try us! We have a Reception class, a R/1 class, a 1/2 class, a 2/3 class, a 3/4 class, a 4 class, a 4/5 class, a 5/6 class and a 6 class. Sorting that lot out took a spreadsheet, huge sheets of sugar paper, post it notes and lots of hair tearing!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That's certainly what we used to do when we had similar divisions caused by the shutting down of the Middle school system and 'odd numbers' of children in year groups to entail the necessity of running the classes like that.
    for example if one had 'Y 3, yr 3/4, yr 4, yr 4/5, yr 5 and yr 6, we put the HA yr 3s and LA yr 4s into the '3/4' class and so on. These classes worked on filling gaps in learning / extending practice in Maths & English for the HA and we had a rolling programme of topics, so children didn't repeat anything and get bored.