1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving family to Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by philiswatson, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Hi all,

I'm a Business teacher with 10 years experience and my wife is a PE teacher who's passed her NQT. We are looking to move sticks to Dubai as we've loved it there both times we've been. We have a 1 and a half year old as well so my main questions are.

1) I know that salaries will vary but I have 10 years experience and currently am a pastoral leader of Upper School in my current job. Will this help me get into a good school or at least help with my salary?

2) Are there many jobs for women PE teachers out there and what will a salary be like for 1 years experience?

3) Do schools offer accommodation for families and if so what are they like? I'd be happy to live in motor city or further out of Dubai if it meant a quiet life in the sunshine.

4) How is it for new families out there? My current friends say it's excellent. Our party days are over (or at least have quietened down) so looking to enjoy life and travel the world during our holidays. Are we expecting to much or can this be possible?

Any advice would be excellent. Thanks

2. pgrass

pgrass New commenter

You can count the number of good schools in Dubai on one hand without using your thumb.

Living in Dubai is very different to visiting. There are only so many times you can go to the mall, the beach or the desert under constant sunshine before you turn crazy.

A starting salary at an average school with little experience is around 10,000 dhs per month. Many schools will have a maximum step at which you can enter. At my school this was 8 years. That will put you on around 14,000 dhs per month.

Most schools provide accommodation. They will choose it for you. I lived in Motor city but it has become too expensive for the (average) school that I was at.

There are many jobs for women PE teachers.

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I agree with pgrass. Life revolves around shopping malls in Dubai. Plenty of young teachers eager to give it a try so salaries are lower than you would expect. Now getting to the point that teachers outside the best schools cant afford to live there.

I hate the place personally. My wife loves it.

4. Thanks for advice so far. Are there no opportunities for promotion though? We are going to visit in October to try and get some info and maybe look at some schools. Do you have families and if so what do the kids think of it?

5. pgrass

pgrass New commenter

Yes there are opportunities for promotion. However, if you are looking to be HOD then in many schools this will give you just a small stipend, the same teaching load as before, and a lot of stress (especially during the mandatory annual school inspections). If you are looking to be a curriculum, MYP or DP coordinator then these are often appointed from within, if you have the experience, or have sufficiently brown nosed.

If you enjoy exploring the countryside with you kids, climbing trees in the woods, investigating the aquatic life in the stream, and playing in the park then you will have to find new things to do. Because you can't do them in Dubai, because they don't exist, except for a couple of crappy parks.

Seriously, do more research. There are far better places than the Middle East with just as much savings potential.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

If you are considering Dubai, then why not Doha as well? Qatar also has sunshine, shopping malls and some sand. (Like Dubai, in Doha there are also thousands of miserable migrant workers, living in a life of near-slavery in squalid conditions, but it is probably best not to think about them.)

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Having lived in (and now left) Dubai after 8 years, the best advice I can give is - it's not all it is cracked up to be. Some of it is - and then some, but much of it isn't. There are soooooo many **** schools out there with **** pay and **** conditions which make it little better than a **** comprehensive in the UK.

My best advice is - do you research, and don't take the first job that comes along just because it is Dubai. Decide on your own standards and stick to them.

8. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I agree pgrass, there are fewer good schools in Dubai than you might think. I think probably 2 hands minus the thumbs to be fair, but lots of dross too. There are also many young, inexperienced teachers, promoted quickly into positions they aren't capable of and ..... well you can guess the rest.

Dubai has a great 'rep' outside Dubai but it is merely the land of sand and bling - very safe, very well organised, very ambitious (for good reason), but also very shallow - be prepared to sell your soul if you dare,