1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving down to Year 1...please help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Bx44, Aug 5, 2011.

1. I was hoping to get some good tips on teaching Art in Year 1 - I've only ever taught in Upper KS2 - and not for long at that, so moving down to KS1 is a bit scary. The planning mentions clay/painting/drawing activities in lessons in the first term, how would you suggest I organise this with a class of 30 new Year 1 children and one T.A? I'm also concerned that the planning isn't going to fill the entire afternoon so filler activities would be appreciated too.
    Would be grateful for any ideas from those more experienced!
    [​IMG]

2. I was hoping to get some good tips on teaching Art in Year 1 - I've only ever taught in Upper KS2 - and not for long at that, so moving down to KS1 is a bit scary. The planning mentions clay/painting/drawing activities in lessons in the first term, how would you suggest I organise this with a class of 30 new Year 1 children and one T.A? I'm also concerned that the planning isn't going to fill the entire afternoon so filler activities would be appreciated too.
    Would be grateful for any ideas from those more experienced!
    [​IMG]

3. lucye

lucye New commenter

Hi, art with year 1 is great! fun.
    I usually model the activity & if it is something they can all access they all work at the same time. I also show ideas on the IWB. For example we did the Seaside & looked at Surat"s beach scenes. Then they made 'spotty' beach pictures in ICT. After that they finger painted their beach scenes. I have also tried this 'spotty' style using fine brushes, but it seemed to work better with fingers!If it needs more adult support I work 2 tables whilst the others have free choice or take art in independent art related activities.
    Generally the children have a sheet/ pastels, bit of clay etc... to practise with. Then they complete their work. it takes most of the afternnon session (an hour) including tidy up time. We do get 'quick' finishers, who shout 'Done it!.' They are always asked to go and add more detail, use more colours etc...

4. Thank you for both ideas, very reassured that I'm planning the right sorts of things.
    [​IMG]

5. I work with a group normally and my TA works with another - groups of 6 work best for us. We try to start with some inspiration from an artist. We start with Rothko in the first term as we get a good idea of colour mixing abilities and the kids learn alot about colour mixing and handling a paintbrush and what clours look good together. I think we're going to use Kandinsky as inspiration this year (his later work) but I do love Rothko beacuse it looks great on the wall and they feel a massive sense of achievement that they've made it look so much like a proper artist. We then move onto portraits -I've never focused on one particular artisit but just teaching them what a portrait is is enough - we draw on several different artists self-portraits. Throughout the year we also use Seurat, Monet, Rousseau, Picasso, Mondrian. I really want to use Andy Goldsworthy this year, especially round Autumn. Sometimes I just look at textiles from other countries.
    Art does generally take most of the afternoon and those that are not working in a group either go in the cutting and sticking area, the class easel, or the computer and do something relating to the topic. It takes a while for Year 1 to evaluate their work and consider how to improve on it but as the year goes on you can see a massive change in most of them as they begin to take their time over their work and will spend more than one lesson working on it to try and make it better. Children will tend to rush at first and some just don't enjoy being creative unfortunately but they're all different. Art time is my favourite time in Year 1 as it's when you can have a good gossip with them and get to know them. You might have to lay down ground rules about who they talk about others work as kids can be very honest and of they think it's rubbish they'll say so make rules about constuctive criticism - telling each other it's good and what about doing this?
    Have fun.

6. Thank you pepperg, I'm very grateful for your reply - extremely helpful.