1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving children on in writing.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Oct 25, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I follow Pie Corbetts 'talk for writing' and find it to be fantastic... I usually give differentiated writing frames to the pupils when it actually comes to the writing part. However, I do have a group who usually have a series of blank boxes with lines underneath for their stories. I would like to move them away from this and towards writing longer and more without relying on so many pictures and lines as their structure... Not sure how to do this though. I have tried giving them the option to go for say, one box with more lines on a page, but they always go for the same! What's the next step for them? Please help me to move them on!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

The most obvious extension to what you're already doing; would be to have picture/ writing side by side, 'in pairs'.
    So if for example, you've got 8 boxes with writing underneath, you have the pictures in alternate boxes and fill-in the story in the intervening boxes and continue on revers so they would still have 8 pictures. Gives them more space to write each time. If that makes sense?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would 'lose' these pieces of paper so they can't have them. Then say you have found some that are similar and give them a series of boxes where the lines go underneath two picture boxes. Thus they have to write about both pictures in their one piece. And then where the lines go under several pictures.

And then one day, when you know they are ready and can do it, just say 'Ooops sorry forgot the picture boxes. Here is a piece with just lines.' Then give an A5 piece of paper (not too big as to be scary) with lines. And so on and so on.

primaryteasurechest do some fab writing paper with characters/symbols down the sides. All my year 2 children want the 'real' paper with the characters.

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Good ideas already, thank you. Minnie I have thought about 'losing' them, but then what happens when I give them the 2 box pictures and they write just one sentence under each one, because they've been previously trained to do one sentence, one picture?! lol.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Give them a checklist of what they must do.

1. Start with a capital letter.
    2. Write 2 sentences.
    3. Finish with a full stop.

Also explain it and what to do before you let them start. Also model how to write the two sentences, one for each picture.