1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving between state and private sectors

Discussion in 'Personal' started by RJR_38, Jan 7, 2011.

1. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Wasn't sure which forum to put this on but thought I'd put it here as it has the highest volume of traffic!
    I'm looking to move jobs and areas (and hopefully up the ladder at the same time) for September. A job has come up that I think may be suitable BUT it is in a private school and I am unsure how I feel about this for several reasons:
    1. I want to work my way up the career ladder over the coming years - if I go into the private sector now at such a young age (I have been teaching 5 years) will I find it hard to get back into state education as I have had rumours that this is the case.
    2. I understand that pay is not necessarily the same in private schools as state schools (the job advert does not mention pay) - is the pay generally the same or is it lower as the terms are shorter?
    I genuinely have no idea about these things as I have worked in deprived areas for all my teaching career which I have loved, so not even sure if the Private sector will be right for me - I just wanted to think about all my options.

2. Can't comment on whether working in the private sector affects your employability in the state sector, but do bear in mind that the expectations from you regarding extracurricular activities are usually far greater than in the state sector. The terms may be shorter, but you will probably put in at least as much time overall.

3. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Thanks for that Jazz. I would be more than willing to work longer during the week etc I just wouldn't want it to cut down my future options...

4. I thought you were referring to moving a child!
    Jazz2 is right: you are expected to devote a great deal more of your own time to your employment, and willingly. I only had a brief spell at an Independent but the long-serving staff had clearly put their jobs before any other commitment.