1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving away from AQA

Discussion in 'English' started by sianna, Mar 11, 2012.

1. sianna

sianna New commenter

We do Edexcel and like it a lot. No problems so far with marking etc - unlike our experiences with AQA!! We've got resources etc if you decide to change ... let me know.

2. Thank you that all sounds brilliant. I've emailed my SLT so I'll wait and see. Hopefully I'll be in touch soon.

3. Clive_Candy

Clive_Candy Occasional commenter

Excuse my being gnomic and please pardon the mixed metaphor but, sometimes you're on a swing and sometimes you're on a roundabout: whichever, the grass will always look greener. Dare I say, better the devil you know?

4. sianna

sianna New commenter

A
    Agreed. But variety is the spice of life. And since we moved from AQA to Edexcel life has been much more green and pleasant, perhaps because Edexcel know why me moved to them so they are very careful about not losing us too ...

5. "...since we moved from AQA to Edexcel life has been much more green and pleasant, perhaps because Edexcel know why me moved to them so they are very careful about not losing us too ..." Really? That's a bit worrying, as it suggests bias on their part. Could I ask which Units you have done, with how many (and what kind of ability range of..) students, and how you did? Only there has been widespread disquiet on here in June and January at Edexcel's marking, and when I phoned to tell them I was changing boards last week I got a cheery thank you and they hung up! My colleagues and I spent some time last week wondering just who was getting the decent marks, as statistics suggest SOMEONE must be...

6. Oh, wait, this is A-Level. Ignore me!

7. sianna

sianna New commenter

Oops!! I wasn't suggesting they put our marks up in order to keep us. I think though, that our scripts are marked by someone who knows what they are doing - unlike when AQA marked them ... one year scripts were marked by an ex-train driver who had recently done an Open Uni degree in English but who had no teaching experience.The marks are generally in line with expectation. We don't get higher marks than average!! I wish ...

8. Clive_Candy

Clive_Candy Occasional commenter

They "think" their scripts are being marked by someone who knows what they are doing? Perhaps it's the ex-train driver with the OU degree who has no teaching experience but has moved boards and who is feeling a bit more generous... Not, by the way, that there's anything wrong with someone having been a train driver and deciding to get themselves a degree in English, OU or otherwise!