1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

moving authority

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by steve_duckworth, Mar 22, 2020.

1. steve_duckworth

steve_duckworth New commenter

Morning,
    I am considering changing job, which may mean teaching in a neighbouring local authority.
    I have been in my current post 20yrs.
    I have an excellent sickness record etc, would my sickness entitlement be the same in a new authority or would i be regarded as a New qualified teacher and have to build it up.
    Also, same question regarding redundancy pay.

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If you are teaching in LEA schools, then any service in such schools counts. I suggest that you download and read the Burgundy Book, and STPCD if these apply to you. It is always sensible to know your conditions of employment. If they don't, then you need to check policy at your new school.

That is not really relevant to sick pay. Under the BB, unless you are off sick on 1 April, in which case that sickness counts in the previous year, you are entitled too the full 100 days at full and half pay regardless of your sickness record.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you move from an LA school to an Academy or similar it is highly likely that there will be no transference of sick pay entitlement. Generally you are not entitled to occupational sick pay until you have served a year in the Academy job.
    Someone on TES moved to an HOD position in one of the first Academies. One month into the school year she was diagnosed with cancer and discovered to her horror that no pay went into her account at the end of October. She had been 24 years in LA teaching and would have had 6 months on full pay and 6 on half pay in her previous job.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

True. Some academies claim to use the Burgundy Book, which would mean, at least in theory, that full sick pay would apply. But I think I would want to get this in writing before accepting a job.