1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving area at retirement.

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by anon1269, May 1, 2012.

1. I've lived in a remote part of North Yorkshire for the last 25 years in the same house. Our children have now left home and we are looking to move a bit closer civilisation. We'd quite like facilities such as shops and a decent mobile phone signal!
    Both me and my wife are pretty decisive but we are both finding it difficult to actually go ahead and move. Althought the community is small we have deep roots. Starting again makes us both feel a bit nervous.
    Has anyone experiences to share? Both good and bad.

2. I've lived in a remote part of North Yorkshire for the last 25 years in the same house. Our children have now left home and we are looking to move a bit closer civilisation. We'd quite like facilities such as shops and a decent mobile phone signal!
    Both me and my wife are pretty decisive but we are both finding it difficult to actually go ahead and move. Althought the community is small we have deep roots. Starting again makes us both feel a bit nervous.
    Has anyone experiences to share? Both good and bad.

3. I am in a similar situation. I am retiring from teaching in July. We've been in the same house, in Cheshire, for twenty-odd years; looking to move to Wales where the housing is cheaper in order to free up some funds. Our children have also left the nest. Its a big step but one we intend to take. So I can't enlighten you about our experiences but I'm posting this to let you know that you are not alone!

4. Thanks for taking the time. It is a difficult decision isn't it?

5. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Hmm. Yes exactly.
    We have just bought a possible retirement place - a bit rural - not that far from here and with a bit of land to boot - but we have some things we know.
    1 We won't want to be in our big old rickety house in old age especially when one of us dies.
    2 Big old house wants a bit of work doing on it, mainly rubbish removal....
    3 We don't actually have a lot of friends in this community. We did when the kids were small but people have moved out and moved on.
    4 We can always move back to this area if we feel we want to, so long as we sort out both the houses so they can be resold.
    5 It is no good staying put because the kids are here - they may move to anywhere in the UK
    It is a big decision made more pressing in a way, more real, but the fact that I have just been very ill and this has made decisions about what kind of life we lead and what we want in the immediate future more pressing. When in hospital I was beside a lady in her seventies who had suddenly lost her husband ten years ago, stayed in the family home and now didn't know how she would have the energy to sort that house out and wished she had downsized years ago.
    So suddenly the prospect of a new life for a change and a new area to explore seems the right thing to do - it is a project and a bit of a dream come true. Only time will tell if we have done the right thing. We are lucky in that we can borrow money to do this so making the move a much much slower transition that just selling up and relocating.

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We moved last year, to downsize. I didn't want to move too far because I wanted to be able to still see family regularly, so we moved to the adjacent county. We wanted to be near to shops, public transport and facilities.
    We have a supermarket about 15 mins walk away and it's a half hour walk to the nearest (small) town, where there are basic shops like Boots and WH Smith, banks etc etc. There is a bus three minutes walk away, to a large town. There's one every hour during the week. The train station is on the outskirts of the town, so a bit further, but not too bad. There's a leisure centre about five mins walk away and a country park within 100 metres of our front door.
    We moved to a new property, so any issues with that have to be dealt with by the developer. The best thing is that, having anticipated that most of the houses would be occupied by families, we have found that a lot have been bought by downsizers like us, so we have something in common and can develop a community.

7. We are planning to do this too- no family ties here (overseas) and second cousins near where we want to go- and no local friends made in community though I do see old friends and ex colleagues in London- still will as we will go about 30-40 mins by train further out to a small market town (Heathfield) with all facilties as mentioned. Just got to get house sorted by next Spring LOL
    Also we are still running partner's online business and will continue to do so for a while so good broadband essential. I am also expecting to meet other downsizers too :)

8. For years my fiance and I have been saying we'll sell up and move. It would make sense and save us heck of a lot of money to sell our two four bedroomed homes and buy one smaller house for retirement between us. I am in my fifties and still have two adult children at home...he has about three more years until retirement but still has his adult son living at home.
    We feel a bit stuck and a while ago contemplated buying a five bedroomed house to fit us all in...but that wouldn't be an ideal start to life together...and as has been mentioned, we really do need to downsize. We wont want to be moving again in our sixties.
    However we are as useless as each other in terms of getting a lifetimes assortment of 'stuff' sorted out. We keep procrastinating but we should do it now so that we stop wasting funds that could be better spent on travel and a good lifestyle and before we become too old and feeble to manage the organisation of it all. It's a daunting task...one we have put off for YEARS!
    We used to think we'd like a country cottage...but the reality is we'd hate to be somewhere too remote. We need facilities on our doorstep...and a bit of life too. We're city people and because we go to (lovely) rural Dorset each year we appreciate just how frustrating it is having to get into the car to drive to the next village (miles away) just for a paper or a carton of milk.
    I also think we'd not want to stray to a different part of the country now. I am not sure where I stand on this really. Part of me loves the idea of going somewhere else...I've stayed in the (lovely) Midlands too long...but my family and friends (and life!) is here...I am not sure I want to lose 'people', but I also appreciate that I am far too sentimental and prone to looking at situations through rose-coloured lenses.
    And so we drift on, doing nothing....We do need a bomb under us...or a good ****-kicking! [​IMG]

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We want to do what everyone says you should never do - go back. We want to live back in the Midlands, ideally in the town we left nearly 30 years ago. It's much closer to various members of the family, we still love it and we don't feel that close to friends here. For me, we were only really here for work. although we have enjoyed so much and the countryside is truly beautiful. Our wish list for a house include - walking distance to shops, no more than 4 beds but preferably 3, a south or west facing garden, detached, en suite, dining kitchen. Actually there's not much I wouldn't compromise on if someone would only buy this one - but I may have said that before. I think it's exciting and a brilliant thing to work on as a couple ( fingers tightly crossed here). I know the clubs and activities i want to take part in, and OH has been in touch with the golf club.
    Friends did something very different - bought a small holding deep in rural N Wales and run a B+B, keep various animals and bees and provide training for bee keepers. They are<u> very</u> busy and absolutely love it.

10. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

Yes, that other, original connotation is quite unpleasant. Let's call it decluttering big time.

11. [​IMG] i would love it if someone could come and 'encourage' my efforts (Or lack of them!)

12. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

My wife and I have taught in the UK, Kenya, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Romania, the UAE and now Qatar. We are going to retire to our properties in Bulgaria. We have a house in the mountains, about 60km from Sofia, and an apartment in the old capital of Veliko Turnavo. For our house, the Bulgarian equivalent of Council Tax is ten quid a year. The local beer and vino are pretty good, plus the olives are wonderful and cheap (we are just round the corner from Greece). Petrol is more or less the same price as in the UK, which is why all the locals use autogaz at half the price. The weather can be a bit nippy in the winter, but the summers are long and hot.

13. holdingon

holdingon Occasional commenter

you a salesman for bulgarian property by any chance ?

14. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

No, I am just a Year 5 teacher.
    Some teachers who are about to retire or who have retired recently in the UK will probably be okay financially. We were the last generation to receive student grants instead of loans, so we did not start our working lives with a large debt to pay off. Maybe you have inherited some property and so you might even have an additional income from rental, as does a teaching friend of mine. However, I wonder how on earth the present generation of young teachers can ever make ends meet, with pensions' contributions going up, but you get less out of it when you retire. That is, of course, if they are lucky enough to have a job at all.

15. We are also seriously contemplating moving to the South West when I retire in July. We have been in our current home for over 25 yrs and will be heartbroken to leave as the kids all grew up here BUT we both feel we need another adventure in life. Will be gutted if it doesn't work out and we lose our house but we have to do it, only here once!