1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moving abroad after PGCE year?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by camis, Apr 29, 2012.

1. camis

camis New commenter

I'm a mature student, currently finishing my OU degree, and have a place on a Primary PGCE course for September.

It is possible that my husband may be offered a job in France in the near future - he is currently working there 2-3 days every fortnight. If this happens, the aim would be for him to commute to France weekly while I am doing my PGCE and then us possibly relocating to France as a family. I know how difficult it is to qualify to teach in France, so am under no illusions that I would be in any position to even try to teach over there! However, if I don't complete my NQT year in the UK straight away, what would the likelihood be of getting an NQT job if we came back in, say, 2 years?

Any thoughts?

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

No one knows.

There's currently a considerable oversupply of primary teachers, so it's tough to get a NQT post anyway - which means there must be a pool of people out there who are at least 1 year after qualification with little experience and you'd be joining them.

But this government may have sacked all the current workforce within a couple of years anyway, so you might be welcomed with open arms as someone both yet-to-be-proven-incompetent and "cheap".

Sorry I don't have anything more positive to say...