1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Movies Topic - Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by smee_42, Apr 19, 2011.

1. smee_42

smee_42 New commenter

Hi people
    Like many others we have embarked on a new creative curriculum at our school where by we can choose any topic we wish to and make subject links from there.
    Having had a discussion with my class and support staff we have settled on 'Movies' as out first topic. The class are very much looking forward to this and I really want it to work.
    Between us we have come up with quite a few ideas as listed below (we keep maths, RE, PHSCE and PE separate generally)
    <u>Literacy</u> - Film to narrative, speech, scripts, characterisation, story writing, interviews, actor/actress study, advertising
    <u>Science</u> - Light and Sound -Lighting in films, music in films, pitch, speed etc
    <u>History</u> - History of film, old films (such as silent films), before films existed (shows), punch and judy
    <u>Geog</u> - Hollywood - Bollywood studies, Movies from diff countires, sets of famous movies
    <u>Music</u> - Bollywood music and dancing, make background music for films
    <u>Art/ DT</u> - Film sets, Props and costume design and making, making products to advertise in literacy, designing case for DVD, costumes, film make up
    <u>ICT</u> - Photography and filming, research, photo story, movie maker, music for films
    <u>Other</u> - Different peoples roles in making films. Watching half of a film and predicting the ending, how cinemas work, who invents films,
    Can you creative people add to this list? I am very excited about doing this, however (as people said it would be) it is quite daunting to plan and make good links!!
    Also, we are supposed to have as many 'hook ins' as possible. Things such as trips, visitors, dress up days etc. Does anyone have any ideas for these? I have been emailing small time directors, actors, filming companies, cinemas, film studios etc with little luck so far. I really want plenty of unusual activities to ensure that the children remain interested.
    Sorry for the long post, any ideas VERY gratefully received.
    [​IMG]

2. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

Have you joined film club? government supported free films and they pay for your schoolsite licence.The films are in different catergories and the children can add their own film reviews.
    www.filmclub.org

3. smee_42

smee_42 New commenter

Ooo never thought of that, will do it now. Thank you for your reply.
    Anyone else got any thoughts?
    [​IMG]

4. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

How are you ensuring that you cover the NC prog of study?

5. johndeere

johndeere New commenter

Start with a visit to the cinema?

6. smee_42

smee_42 New commenter

Thanks for replies.
    With regards to NC we sit down in key stages, highlight which objectives we are covering through our topics and then see what is overlapping/missing and adapt from there.
    Anymore ideas? [​IMG]

7. We can help! Check out filmeducation.org and let me know if you have any specific requests with regards to the films in our film library.

8. I don't suppose you would be able to upload this example planning to TES? Sounds like it would be really interesting to have a look at!

9. OMG. LOVE IT!!!!!
    Can I be in your class?

10. pyg2009

pyg2009 New commenter

Hamilton Trust have a Lights Camera Action unit - lots of good ideas in there! Have done it myself! We endedthe unit with a film star day. Flm education is also very good for trailers etc. I used a 'fox' one which explored sound effects in film and also filming techniques such as, birds eye view, wide shot, over the shoulder shot. The kids loved having a go at these using flip cameras.

11. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

Unfortunately it's not my topic! I do attend the Oscars evening though!

They do all sorts of other stuff too such as: setting up a movie production company (which they have to budget and assign roles), making their own props, learning to use windows movie maker to edit their trailers, looking at the history of cinema, P4C on movie stars wages, writing and delivering thank-you speeches, writing their scripts. They do loads!

12. It sounds brilliant! I feel really inspired now! Thank you. Oooh... and if you ever manage to twist your Year 5 teachers' arm into sharing planning... You know where to find us! [​IMG]

13. I want to work in that year group too! What a wonderful ida. I will store it in my head anad use it in years to come. Thanks for sharing.