1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Movies that were scary and are not now

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ResourceFinder, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Taking advantage of Anytime + we watched 2 films last night

Scream ... an 18 ... would surely be a 15 now ... compare it to the FD films

Then Wicker Man ... the original ... TBH I was still suspended but the teen was very "meh" about it ... I may have to watch the Nick Cage version to see if they have replaced tension (and sex) with more explicit gore

2. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

The Nick Cage version is pants, don't waste your time.xx
    [​IMG]

3. Fair enough [​IMG]

4. You beat me to it PC! Terrible remake.

5. Agree - dreadful.
    I watched the original Nightmare on Elm Street recently. Scared the **** out of me when I was 14, a bit laughable now.
    I don't usually watch horror films anymore, they are all just torture ****. A good thriller is much better.

6. I am not a remake fan so have not seen it ... I am a Nick fan so have been tempted ... I probably will if it is on telly ... then I will come on here and moan [​IMG]

7. I actually quite like the original Wicker Man. It is a film of it's time, and the tension and story build up nicely.

8. As I said ... it still worked for me [​IMG]

But the teen ... no interest

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Wicker Man always made me laugh. I found it really silly.

10. The Wicker Man (origanal version) is on my Amazon wish list.
    I've never seen it, but have been assured that it is not 'horror' and not 'scary' but more 'suspense' and 'thriller'...kind of like Hitchcock

11. suspense is still scary, surely

12. Sort of, but it is more 'oooooooh!' than 'arghhhhhhhh!!!!'
    Suspense is good.
    Scary is bad.
    I don't like horror.
    And I don't like anything that makes me scared to turn out the light.

13. My point was that teen did not even feel the suspense ... not sure why

14. I used to find John Carpenter's films really scary watching them the first time round in the 1980s: Halloween, The Thing, The Fog. Also Friday 13th and Alien. Now I re-watch all these films quite frequently adn enjoy them immensly, but don't really find them scary as such, although they can sometimes still make me jump if i haven't watched them for a while. I found the US remakes of The RIng and RIng 2 and Grudge and Grudge 2 very scary watching them for the first time only a few years ago, but have watched them a few times since and am not sure why I found them so scary as I don't now. I'd agree that the original Wicker Man is more suspense than horror, although it can feel quite oppressive.

15. Used to find Psycho very scary, now watch it often and don't find it scary in the least, but really enjoy it, same for The Birds.

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I wish it hadn't been on my wish list. Apart form the brief scene where Britt Ekland gets her kit off (yet again) it had very little interest for me. I only watched it because Media teachers are supposed to have seen it, and I wish I hadn't bothered now.

Its only redeeming feature in my opinion is that it clearly influenced the team who created the excellent 'League of Gentlemen'.

I imagine I might not find 'Night of The Demon' as scary as I used to, but then again I'm quite happy to suspend my disbelief with old black and white films so I could easily end up hiding behind the sofa again.

17. Dr Who in the 1970's used to scare me!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Glad to read your comments, magic surf bus - I thought was the only one who didn't like the Wicker Man or think that it was anything like as good, or scary, as the rest of the world seems to think. It's too silly to be scary.

19. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Jaws scared the sheet out of me at the pictures, when I was 11 (birthday treat - oh yeah!).
    Now? Not so much.

20. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

I didn't sleep for days after watching "The Exorcist" when it came out in the 70s. Silly shoite, now.