1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moved from year 6 to year 3

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pbkupersamy, Jun 27, 2011.

1. I will be moving from year 6 to year 3 and have never done year 3 before. Any advice for the first few week of the new year?

2. I'm doing the same and am simply planning on teaching good quality, interesting things with minimal "get to know you" stuff. I have loved year 6 but I am really looking forward to the move down. Best of luck!

3. Thank you for the advice and confidence boost.

4. Are you a primary or a junior school? If you are a junior school don't forget to invest some time helping them to know their way around.

1. Routines - Spend time having clear set routines. Where do they put their book away at the end of the lesson? Do you want them to write date and lo on all work etc? What should they do if they finish their work (not queue or follow you round!) Also things like reading rotation, in september it is very painful and they fail to understand that they can not disturb you if you are reading with a good. It also took a lot of mine most of the session to start the task! Spend time on routine like this. We have to line up in alphabetical order on the playground if there is a fire bell, I spend time going over this as strangely enough they could not do it. With a little training it works and makes it much easier to spot who is missing when doing the register.
    2. Independence - have a home for all equipment (which is labelled.) When my class ask if they can use the cello-tape the answer is yes, if you can find it! The same for packing away, otherwise you end up with a queue of the same old children holding a piece of plain paper asking where does it goes (in the plain paper draw!) Teach them the skills to help them be more independent. Remember in September it may be quicker for you to go round to hole punch all their work but if you teach them by they end of the year they could do it themselves with only a few wonky/ half punched pieces of paper. Also with letters, we often get 2,3,4 letters a night! So I get a few children to put one letter per tray and remind them to get the letters when they collect their bags. This is great for us as we are a junior school and our infants put all the letters straight into the book bags. So if a parent complains their child is the only one who never gets given letters I just open the tray! The same with homework, they are told to collect it for EMW. Any spare go into spare letter tray so there is no excuse if they loose it. I am not as mean as this make me sound, it is just I have heard a number of teacher in my school really spoon feed their year 3. OK so they are not as quick or independent as year 6, but it does not just happen they need to be trained to be more independent.
    3. Have fun! They are such a lovely age (my favourite.) What topics do you cover? Maybe we could send you link etc to help. ****** website is very good for things like visual timetables and group names.(I know it is KS1)
    Hope this helps RLBxxx

5. stuffedcrust

stuffedcrust New commenter

I too am moving to Year 3 in September and I'm worried! I've taught Y6 for many years and have no idea about Y3!

Is there any wonderful Year 3 experts out there, willing to share an example of a weekly timetable? Please?

6. I have found with year three that they need to have instructions one at a time at the start and will seek a lot of reassurance to begin with. Yes, they need helping to independence and they need encouragement (nagging) to gain speed in written tasks and to stop asking unnecessary questions :0)
    Many will struggle with abstract concepts and you may well find that you have to explain a lot of vocabulary. Also, you cannot take it for granted that they will know, for example, which way round to have paper or how to order or annotate their work. My general rule of thumb in September is to repeat and explain instructions even when they seem obvious.
    They will also need traning into not asking to go to the toilet every 5 minutes and not sharpening their pencils between every task. I took the step of banning use of rubbers as they seem to rub out more than they eventually produce!
    On the plus side, - it is a very malliable year group and they will be very eager to please. By the end of the year they will begin to develop undertsanding of jokes and they probably shower you with cards and letters all year round telling you that you are the best teacher in the world!
    I have loved teaching this year group. I hope you do too. Good luck!
    Janice

7. Thank you so much! I have taken on board your advice.

8. Best ever year group, would choose over any other- enjoy!