1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Moved from Full Time to Supply? Check pension.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by magic surf bus, Mar 18, 2011.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You may or may not be aware that for pension calculation purposes, Teachers Pensions use annual salary figures taken from March onwards, and not from September.
    I left my full time post with a TLR in December 2009, then did a few days' to scale supply on basic salary (ie no TLR) in early March 2010. The LEA used my old full time payroll number for the supply work, so by March it appeared my salary was basic only, but I'd done 9 months full time on a TLR during that tax year.
    Imagine my surprise when I contact TP about an unrelated query and am told that my salary figure for the whole of 2009-10 is recorded as basic only, based on data provided by my employing LEA.
    I am currently in the process of querying this with the LEA Payroll Dept, as I don't see why a few days' supply should wipe out 9 months on a TLR when it comes to calculating my final salary for pension and lump sum purposes. Like many, my last year of full time was my highest paid year.
    I'd suggest anyone in a similar position double checks exactly what salary figures TP have for your most recent years of full time work, especially if you've done any supply between resigning and March.

2. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

It looks to me like the LEA sent the wrong letter to TP. You wouldn't have been paid for your supply until April (next tax year). Contact your LEA who can send the correctly updated salary to TP, unfortunately this is a problem that happens quite regularly and can only be corrected by the LEA, your P60 etc is not acceptable.
    I have been in similar situations with two LEAs and the deficits were corrected on both occasions. One within a week, the other 5 months.

3. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY New commenter

All I can say is you're lucky that you have been paid through the LEA on supply. I left full time under the mis apprehension that i'd slip into another job easily with 10 years of experience. For 2 years i've been supply with agencies and unable to pay any pension into anywhere. I'm fed up with everything at the moment and don't know where to turn. The union is as useful as a chocolate fireguard in terms of advice for supply teachers and i'm being asked to take action to fight for my non existent pension! PIFFLE to them, that is what I say.

I'm not an old misery honestly!

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I agree I've been very lucky to get supply work paid to scale, but most of the time I don't, and the opportunities are diminishing. It turns out that the problem I outlined was down to a clerical error in the Payroll department when I finished full time work rather than my supply pay level superseding my previous full time pay level in their records. It's definitely worth double checking with TP that their best three years' salary figures are correct if you've been teaching for a while.