1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Move up day - maths idea needed

Discussion in 'Primary' started by monkey1, Jul 12, 2011.

1. I have a move up day on thursday where i meet my new class. Most of them will be year 4, and they are a very challenging bunch. There are many boys that are always sent out with disruptive behaviour. I am trying to plan a structured day which is enjoyable but also shows I stand no nonsense.
    I am stuck with a maths lesson - i don't really want to do any group work, independent would be best, but I want a lesson where i can find out what they are capable of.
    I was thinking of beginning the lesson with a bingo game (using real bingo grids) and asking them questions relating to the numbers - simple really just to get them practising their listening skills.
    I am stuck for a main activity - has anyone got any suggestions?

2. I have a move up day on thursday where i meet my new class. Most of them will be year 4, and they are a very challenging bunch. There are many boys that are always sent out with disruptive behaviour. I am trying to plan a structured day which is enjoyable but also shows I stand no nonsense.
    I am stuck with a maths lesson - i don't really want to do any group work, independent would be best, but I want a lesson where i can find out what they are capable of.
    I was thinking of beginning the lesson with a bingo game (using real bingo grids) and asking them questions relating to the numbers - simple really just to get them practising their listening skills.
    I am stuck for a main activity - has anyone got any suggestions?

3. Have a look through the TES maths resources- there are some really good ideas on there.

4. Are they a competitive bunch? I would go for an open ended task where you can keep giving further clues and have prizes for a certain level of responses. Eg 'the answer is 74... but what is the question?" Be like QI and have forfeit answers prepared, (make it fun, eg whoever says 0 + 74 has to hop around the room twice). Have some special prizes for things like using all four operations, etc. Do easy examples all together and then introduce the competition element so they are all trying to get the longest list. You should end up with a list from each child of what sort of calculations they can handle.