1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Move to Singapore?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Henry1988, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Henry1988

Henry1988 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I am expecting to see whether I get offered a position in a really good school n Singapore and because if I do receive the offer I will have to respond almost immediately, I am contemplating whether to move to Singapore. I am single, been living in KL for the last 3 years and have been to Singapore multiple times, so I like the city. My issue is whether S$8.500 (gross, which works out just under 8000 nett after 183 days when you become resident-according to gov website at least) is enough to enjoy not a luxurious, but a comfortable expat single life. The school told me that most teachers who live around there, which is not in the centre, pay between 2000-2500 for a one bed flat. I'd appreciate your help on the issue, especially from colleagues who live there. Happy Chinese New Year!

2. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

Is SG$8500 your base salary or does it include housing/overseas living allowance?

3. Henry1988

Henry1988 New commenter

SG$8700 is the total package including housing allowance (6200 base plus 2500 housing allowance)

4. migratingbird

Yes, you'll be able to live comfortably but not excessively. Am happy to chat via conversation if you want me to break down numbers more specifically or talk about areas to live

5. molly147

molly147 New commenter

Hi I would like to find out more about working in Singapore but having problems messaging.

6. migratingbird

If you're new, you can't start a conversation. I'll start one with you and ask away!

7. MPL1984

MPL1984 New commenter

Hi there - can anyone recommend the best schools to apply to in Singapore? I’ve taught in Dubai for 6 years at arguably the best school there (+4 in Uk) and whilst I have an idea of the “best” school in Singapore I’m a little stuck with knowing which schools are “best” to work for. If anyone could start a pm with me I’d really appreciate it. Thanks :)

8. migratingbird

I've sent you a brief overview - let me know if you want more details.

9. PuertaDelVino

PuertaDelVino New commenter

WHy do you want to know? ARe you the "best" teacher then or something? WHat do you mean by "best school." The one that pays the most or has the best behaviour? George Best was a phenomenal football player you know. He was the Best lol. Are you?

10. kpjf

kpjf Occasional commenter

I doubt there is one school in any country that we could categorically, without doubt, say, is the "best". We could talk about the best schools in a country based on exam results, but to say clearly there is one, I think that's quite hard, no?

From a teacher perspective, of course the best schools could be the most demanding as you probably know which is why you're asking for the best schools to work for. Nevertheless, what good is that to you if said schools have no openings? Wouldn't it be better looking at the job adverts for the schools there, then taking it from there via reviews.

Are you a member of ISR? If you are you could check out the reviews or even sometimes I see on Googlemaps when the school comes up it can at least give you a basic idea. For instance I saw a job in a school in Malaysia, checked the school and it came up on googlemaps with lots of bad reviews so it instantly put me off.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  11. citruspers

citruspers New commenter

Would you be able to send the same to me? Many thanks in advance. C

12. migratingbird

Yup, will do. It really is very brief so feel free to ask specific questions for more detail.

13. MPL1984

MPL1984 New commenter

Of course it is subjective but as an example; if you lived in Dubai and taught there, most teachers in the British system look out for one school in particular for the whole package (& it’s not necessarily commonly known until you live there).

I’m looking for something similar now or in the future in Singapore and it may not exist just yet. I’ve heard 3 schools in particular dependant on type (eg. British/US) are the “best” all round.

If anyone wanted schools to stay away from I’d have suggestions in the UAE as an example (and places sought after too).

Thanks migratingbird for your help (but I can’t find the post)!

14. MPL1984

MPL1984 New commenter

A little passive aggressive...

Also, George wasn’t the best! But I do get your humerous quip. ;)

15. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

'I do get your humerous quip.'

He quipped with his funny bone?

mlavery likes this.