1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Move to other career?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jdou, Jan 10, 2016.

1. jdou

jdou New commenter

Asking for advice on what to do.

I am a MFL teacher from abroad who started here as a supply teacher. I have been doing supplies for some time, trying to get experience and knowledge of the British curriculum. This is the main feedback that I always get from interviews, we need more experience within the British curriculum.

But at this point, my economy cannot survive to this scheme. Sometimes, one of my agencies has sent me to a school just for 2 hours. Now, I am starting with another agency as a TA for a couple of days per week. But, although I can get some more days per week, half term will arrive and will kill my income again. At the end of the day, the final monthly account, in comparisson, is less than a full time job on a basic wage.

I started to register with job agencies. trying to get work as a waiter. At the moment I am getting something for weekends, but they just tell me that if I want a better income, I need to be available school hours.

Private tutoring was an option, but still not get any students from internet advertisements.

I am not new to teaching. I was a teacher in my country, I have taught lots of students in private tuition, with enormous difficulties, who achieved success despite their challenges. I have worked in some schools with SEN students. And I have prepared students for their (equivalent to) A-levels in my country (Hums and languages).

But here, it is always the same: you need more experience, you need more experience, etc. I understand the message, but I feel that I cannot wait so much time to get to there, since, as all of us, I have bills to pay and a family to support.

So, this is the point: I have an interview in a company in a complete different sector. It is an office job, with a basic salary, 9-5 position. I like the sector and I think I can do it very well, especially because they need someone with my language skills. But many colleagues have told me that, now that I am getting that experience that the schools demand me, I should not leave it my career development.

If I am offered the office position, I fell I should take it. It is not so much money, but this supply teaching scheme is killing my economy, and my agencies always promise to get me a long term position, but at the end, I have just found one that is being a little bit serious (apart from that umbrella thing).

But some friends discourage me of doing that. Think of the money in the future, think of that you like this and you are good at it, think that this doesn't give a good reference of your career progression for the future...

So please, if you can give me your opinions on my situation, I would be grateful.
    Should I continue trying to be a teacher here or should I take the office job?

2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I have to say .... go for the office job, especially if there is opportunity there - some prospect of promotion! You will have your evening and weekend time then free. I would suggest that you look to enhance the initial office pay with some evening tuition. Teaching here in the UK is no picnic and for years the subject area of MFL has been having a field day of people being stressed and depressed.
    If you can survive financially with the office job and there are some prospects it is a no contest in my view. If however it is a "dead end" job with few "perks" i.e. flexi time, then maybe give the teaching route another go. Have you considered looking into the private system where your expertise in your own language might be looked upon more favourably? However do be aware that many state school teachers who are "stuck" in teaching are doing just that!
    If your office job comes with flexi time then you could aim for an early finish a couple of days a week so as to be available for tuition at school finish time for example. Is your native language of interest to adult learners e.g. Spanish - so you could consider doing evening class teaching for the many Brist who wish to escape the British winters?

Wish you luck whatever you decide

joannagb likes this.
  3. jdou

jdou New commenter

Thank you for your answer.

I think the office job might be a little bit demanding at the moment (weekend work included), but the company is so big that I think there will be space to develop.

I'll think about it.

Thanks again!