1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Move to Malaysia

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Loro123, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Loro123

Loro123 New commenter

Hi all,

I have used the search function but most threads I can see are a little dated now.
    Can anyone advise what the current situation is like teaching in KL/Malaysia during COVID? I’m currently teaching in Dubai and wanting to relocate for the next academic year.

Does anyone have any tips for moving to Malaysia? Is now a silly time to think about it?

thanks in advance!

2. andrewbailey1967

andrewbailey1967 New commenter

I am hearing schools in KL, Putrajaya and Selangor are closing from this Wednesday, supposedly for 2 weeks, although these measures are often extended. Parts of the country (?) are coming under a new Movement Control Order.

Loro123 likes this.
  3. Loro123

Loro123 New commenter

Thank you for the response. Are you living there currently?

4. andrewbailey1967

andrewbailey1967 New commenter

No, but my brother and his wife work in international schools in KL.

Some schools have already started advertising, I see.

5. Loro123

Loro123 New commenter

Ah ok, great! Yes I have seen the advertised jobs. I’m just wondering if it’s a risky time to make a move. I know it is expected that lots of expats will be leaving UAE this year. I guess it’s a risky time to do a lot of things though - it is very difficult to predict what things will be like even a few months down the line.

6. amariB

amariB New commenter

Yes that’s right, KL and some other parts of Malaysia has gone back into lockdown, only for 2 weeks initially but that’s what they said last time and it went on for months. There has been a recent spike in Covid cases. Everything might be different by the beginning of next academic year though. I was working there last year and we were doing online teaching from March to end of the year in June.

Loro123 likes this.
  7. Loro123

Loro123 New commenter

It was the same here with online teaching March - June. I don’t envy you doing that again!

Is there much worry about job stability?

8. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

9. pygmymarmoset

pygmymarmoset New commenter

The biggest risks in moving to Malaysia are firstly whether you will be able to get into the counttry in the first place and secondly whether you will be able to return home to see family. At the moment expats are welcome to leave Malaysia but can not get back in. This means plans to return to say the UK to see family have had to be put on the backburner for the foreseeable future.

10. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

I think that most people here feel that on the whole, Malaysia has dealt with the pandemic pretty well and has made sensible decisions about going into lockdown etc - definitely in comparison to many other countries. This year's cohort of new staff have generally been able to get in and get their visas without much delay, if any, and most delays were due to regulations/lack of flights in the country they were in rather than anything to do with Malaysia.

11. Loro123

Loro123 New commenter

Thanks so much for the replies. This is really helpful. Are the borders closed even to residents then?
    It’s good to know they took on new staff from outside the country.

12. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I don’t see much difference to any other country, really. Lots of borders are closed to expats, or subject to sudden closure at crucial moments, so plenty of expats the world over are planning to enjoy their temporary home rather than travel. It’s certainly the case where I am now (far from Asia), it’s the case in all the other 5 countries I was once an expat, and it’s the case with many of my expat friends across the globe. Don’t walk away from Malaysia on this basis- take the plunge or walk away from expat life entirely. There are no guarantees of free travel for quite some time to come.

Loro123 likes this.
  13. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

Very sensible comment above. And we're firmly convinced that if you have to be stuck in the same country for an extended period of time, Malaysia is a heck of a good one to be in. Even if I could go back to the UK at the moment, I wouldn't, because most of my family and friends are trying to self-isolate as much as possible and I'd be much more likely to get infected with Covid there than I am here. So oh no, how awful, I'm stuck in a country with friendly people, great food, tropical beaches, sunshine every day, and no tourists for the foreseeable future!

Loro123 and gulfgolf like this.
  14. Loro123

Loro123 New commenter

I think I have learned the hard way that some countries are nicer to be stuck in than others..

Definitely not ready to pack in expat life! Thank you for your comments. - much appreciated.

15. pygmymarmoset

pygmymarmoset New commenter

Malaysia is a great country to be stuck in but despite getting staff into the country it is worth evaluating the whole situation. If you are very close gto your family or a bit older with elderly relatives you would like to see or return home to in an emergency this may not be the place for you. You can leave and return with permission in an emergency but this may or may not be granted and is not an immediate process. Nobody can come in from outside to visit and even some Malaysians and expats are suffering split families since February because of this. If you are happy to sit here and ride the storm with little prospect of getting home at the moment, then this may be the place for you. If you need to see family and friends once a year then there is no guarantee of this and things do not look like they are changing anytime soon- then this may not be the right place and wishful thinking is not enough to make this change. Malaysia have been very strict with border control and lockdowns. The border with Singapore even remains closed. Even if expats get permission to leave and return in an emergency there is quarantine basically locked in your room and being fed food from the government and the cost of this for expats is now close to £1000 with no subsidy. I am not trying to put you off, just say do your homework first.

FionaWood1 likes this.
  16. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

You’re describing exactly our situation in a completely different faraway country. This is simply how the world is right now.

17. mr_d_teaches

mr_d_teaches New commenter

Malaysia is great. I am currently teaching here and it is certainly a good place to be located both for work and life. The pandemic has of course made things different here, as I'm sure you will understand from being in Dubai.
    Instead of moving on in July, I was fortunate enough to secure a job in my school for another year. If you have to ride the corona wave anywhere, Malaysia is certainly a good choice. Travel restrictions are a pain if you wish to enjoy the neighbouring countries and not being able to visit home is really tough. However, it is something that expats around the world are having to adjust to given the situation. There are quite a number of schools in Malaysia so do your research on which school fits you best.

gulfgolf likes this.