1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Move to England - curriculum (interview) HELP!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lauly101, May 7, 2017.

1. lauly101

lauly101 New commenter

Hello!

Im currently teaching in Wales (just returned post maternity) and am moving back to England to be with family. I have three interviews next week and am not familiar with the Nat.Curr. I taught N and R there three years ago but two years in two different schools in Wales plus 9m of maternity have me confuzzled. I've looked up the nat curr and EYFS/DM docus online and am familiarising myself with them.

Im currently back in my third week after mat and teaching in a very challenging school in y4 where lit levels are very low. About the same level as Nat Curr Y1 levels to be perfectly honest.

I only know the subject and year of one interview (year one English/literacy) and wanted a bit of help. In Wales foundation continues to end of Y2 so I am worried my idea is a bit too foundationy/'easy' for the English nat curriculum. The lesson is 30 mins with 19 children and one TA. I was going to do a whole group starter then split into three groups (one with TA outside and two with me inside) and a rotation of activities and then back for a plenary.

I was going to start with a picture book (so something like Burglar Bill, Slinky Malinky, Tell me a dragon) and then say that there is a phonic/digraph thief who has stollen sounds (ones which are Y1 appropriate - mebbies splits or 'tch' or ing/ed/er endings...) and that we need to use these sounds in our writing. I was going to do a 'cheeky wave' so if they hear the sound in the story they give me a cheeky wave (so seeing if they can hear the sound) and then I'll move onto using them in their writing. Then go on to write their own part of the story using the phonemes the thief stole. The lower ability group will be outside with the TA fishing for phonemes and seeing which ones they recognise and if they can make them into words/read words/recognise them in words (so doing the phonical knowledge but not with huge amounts of writing).

Also are outdoor activities appropriate for Y1 in English schools still? Ive used for Y1 in Welsh schools but wasn't sure if I should be doing whole class activities rather than a rotation/carousel. I don't want it to be too ...foundationy.

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you in advance!

Lauly

2. lauly101

lauly101 New commenter

p.s a colleague in school who was a deputy in England two yrs ago but in upper ks2 thinks I should do a Pie Corbett-based writing activity on the Gruffalo with a video clip to start with but I missed the training and would have to have it toldto me second hand.... plus the gruffalo may be too 'done;?

3. lauly101

lauly101 New commenter

Bump?

4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

people don't tend to be particularly free with advice for specific interview lessons on here, as it won't do you any favours if the interviewers read it.

Someone might be along in a moment, with more knowledge of the levels you are teaching at, and give some more general advice.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

That's not quite true. People tend not to help with the posts that say "I've an interview with year 1 literacy what can I do?" But posts asking for advice such as this generally get a favourable response and advice.

If I was observing you for a post in my school, your lesson would be absolutely fine. In my last school it would also have been fine. In the one before (I'd not have been interviewing) you'd have been shown the door after about 3 mins of not having the children all sat at desks and writing at length. The level you are asking for is fine for year 1. The approach will depend very much on the school.

I would email the school and check they have an outside area year 1 can use, not all do. Also check you will have a TA. A read of the website, might give you some clues as to whether the lesson approach is going to be fine.

Best of luck

dunnocks likes this.
  6. lauly101

lauly101 New commenter

Thank you!

This is exactly what I wanted. After searching through documentation I wasn't able to find anything alluding to outdoor learning. Here in Wales it's a must and when I taught nursery and reception in England 3 years ago also. I have emailed to ask about access to outdoors and I know I'll have a TA (one for only 18 learners!)

Thank you so much for your help! : )

7. lauly101

lauly101 New commenter

Hey Dunnocks!

I hope I didn't come across as lazy - that wasn't my intention and I'm sorry if did. I just wanted to know re outdoor learning really as being a Wales-based teacher where the curriculum is significantly different and with an extended foundation phase I wanted to ensure I wouldn't be laughed out the interview with regards to my focus on outdoor learning activities and supportive curriculum for all (Foundation/KS1 transition for those learners who may struggle with the more formal environment of y1).

I will delete the post if I can figure out how to do it incase others presume the same.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

There is no need to delete the post.

9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

o no, you weren't coming across as lazy, I jut didn't want you to think you were being ignored, as some people worry about answering questions about job applications, that's all. Its not lack of good will, just the worry that it might be an issue if it is seen by the interviewers.

10. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

If I was going to interview someone - I would most assuredly NOT look in the TES community before hand!

11. lauly101

lauly101 New commenter

Thank you Dunnocks!

I think I will delete this thread now as the worry has got to me.

12. lauly101

lauly101 New commenter

*too stupid to figure it out* :,)

13. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Hello @lauly101
    You can't delete a post or whole thread - only the Mods can do that. If you are concerned then you can report your own post and ask for the thread to be removed. If you click on 'report' below a post a dialogue box will appear.

upload_2017-5-8_20-0-58.png

I'll also alert @TES_Rosaline for you.