1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Move to drama

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by audrey8, Oct 3, 2015.

1. audrey8

audrey8 New commenter

Hi

I am a qualified teacher (primary) with 5 years of experience teaching in the state and private sector. I have a Masters degree in English and Philosophy and a degree in Creative Writing and Art History (this included screenwriting) and I have a PGCE (Primary) with Q.T.S.. At the moment I work as a life coach but would be interested in teaching drama in the future alongside this. I would like to teach Drama and English in the independent senior sector or in higher prep years. What further training would I require to do this? My experience of drama is a SCOT.VEC Theatre Arts module and having taken the lead in two amateur musicals. I have also created stage performances in my work in prep schools on a regular basis.

Many thanks,

D

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Hi,

A key issue is that your BA is not in either of the subjects you want to teach. This might make it tricky for Independent Senior. As for Higher Prep, you might want to post this on the Independent forum.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there Audrey.

This is one of those occasions when I begin with You are probably not going to like what I am going to say. :(

You have no training or experience in teaching Senior School level. The training is less important perhaps than the experience. Certainly I, as a Senior Independent School Head, would not have considered you for appointment for either English or Drama. You see, a successful candidate would be expected to teach GCSE and A-level, but I wouldn't feel confident in your ability to do this, I'm afraid, from your training and experience. Perhaps you could, but there is nothing in your background that could evidence this.

Similarly, many Prep Schools prefer their teachers in years 6-8 to be qualified and experienced as for a Senior School.

A further disadvantage is that you are not currently even involved in teaching, from what you say.

However, having said that, you could give it a try . . . some of the smaller Indy schools may be more flexible in their requirements.

Ideally a PGCE in English with Drama, and not a Primary PGCE. But as you already have a PGCE you cannot get this . . .

Sorry, not what you wanted to hear, I know .