1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Move to 1/2 termly rota

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by jlishman2158, May 7, 2012.

1. jlishman2158

jlishman2158 New commenter

We currently have a termly rota in place for Food/Textiles , Art and RM.
    Considering move to 1/2 termly so that we all see each child before reports are written, etc.
    As a dept. writing For and Against to sort out what we want as its a decision we need to make soon.
    What do other schools use?

2. Spencer_DT

Spencer_DT Occasional commenter

I have worked at schools which have both termly and half termly rota's. My current school, we keep a group for a year, but only see them once a week. We have a six weekly reporting cycle.
    In your case, I suppose you will have to decide how much work this is going to involve for you guys. I assume you have termly projects, set to run over this period of time. Therefore these projects will, at the very least, require some modification, at worst re-writing. How much time will this take and will the students lose out in the process? Essentailly you will effect a big change for the dept so the school can hand out reports sooner, how much value will the reports hold if you have only covered a shortened/rushed project?
    What do others think.

Cheers
    Spencer

3. jlishman2158

jlishman2158 New commenter

Thanks for the info.
    Every child gets a D+T report and also an Art report. They may have had D+T before Christmas and Art afterwards, now back in D+T. School reports now go out in May so teachers either thinking back to Dec or working on having pupils for 2 / 3 weeks.
    The idea of the 1/2 termly rota would be to give fairer picture of a pupils abilities in D+T and Art as they would have experienced each area maybe even twice beofre reports are written.
    Within RM and Textiles the pupils experience 2 or 3 short courses and in Food we use L2C so it is possible to move to 1/2 termly rota without too much re-planning.
    Deciding before Half-term so we can alter plans and then get materials etc ordered and be ready for Sept.

4. Spencer_DT

Spencer_DT Occasional commenter

Yep, makes perfect sense and adds real consistency and also value to the reports........as long as it does not cost you guys too much time to put in place and you are happy to and can afford this time.

Cheers

Spencer