1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Move or extend?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pinkflipflop, Apr 20, 2011.

1. I would be very impressed if you did all that for that price!

2. My line manager managed to get something like that done - but it was a one-off. The builder had a gap in jobs because of the state of the housing market at the time. The extent of the work was really impressive, particularly for the money, but it was clearly not generally available at that price (I did try! [​IMG] )
    Maybe you could see what you can get for that price, then decide what to do??

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Apparently (distilled from various buildery forums and websites) there is a rule of thumb for costing an extension: £1 000 per square metre. Architects fees, planning applications etc are not included in this cosing. Variations are numerous and much will depend on where in the country you live, access to the site, type of ground (for foundation purposes) and quality of build and internal fit-out.
    If it's a two storey extension, then you double the floor space calculation.

4. I daresay it varies with where you are, but we got a 4 x 3m extension to the kitchen for £18K three years ago - just the building, not the fitted kitchen, or the architect's fees etc. It would have been another £15K to put a second storey on. The reason we didn;t was because it would have involved additional expense for planning, we didn't need another small upstairs room that couldn't be a second bathroom, and it would have blocked our neighbours' light and we're nice like that.
    Moving to another area won't automatically confer friends and neighbours on you.

5. PS the price will vary as well depending on where the load-bearing walls are and how much has to be knocked out. Girders are dear! The garage will defintely need to be rebuilt and new foundations dug.

6. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

Get the advice of a qualified architect - initial consulations are free and they will be able to say what is and what is not realistic. You'll need them for planning anyway and they may have clever ideas that you haven't considered.

7. baitranger

baitranger New commenter

Many people would think this a distinct advantage and an excellent reason for staying put.
    By this I do not mean to imply that elderly widows are any more attractive or intellectually appealing than other people but that they generally behave in a manner markedly different than the average teenager.
    Value what is absent, is my advice. I assume that you do not suffer from loud music emanating from your neighbours' houses at all hours of the day and night, the noise of slamming car doors and drunken voices at 4.00 am. Quiet, considerate neighbours are worth more than a little extra space.Even quiet, inconsiderate and socially distant neighbours are valuable.
    Don't forget the costs of moving, which can add up to a lot of money: 3%stamp duty on a house purchase of over £250,000 plus agency fees and suddenly £15,000 doesn't go all that far.

8. You might be able to get the extension for that but if there are problems the cost escalates e.g. drainage not working out the way you wanted to go. However there are still more costs to find. Cuppla thousand for carpets. Did you say a kitchen as well ? Flooring for that. What lighting do you want? Wall lights inside and outside lights? New outside tap? New beds? Bathroom suite to add on. Even taps dont come cheap. . Paint can mount up inside and out lucky if you get away with three coats especially as one is priming. Will you need the garden levelled ? Patio or decking. Extending security alarm to cover the extension.
    Then there are solicitors fees when it goes wrong !

9. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

10. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

That's why you should get an architect to design it properly first, then go out to builders for fixed price contracts. The architect is insured so you can sue him if it goes wrong (which it shouldn't if you have a chartered architect and not someone calling themselves an architect). The architect will do all of the design and overseeing the building if you want to pay for that, or just the design and planning/building consents. You then know exactly how much it is going to cost and there won't be any nasty surprises as usually an amount is set aside for contingencies that may arise during the works. Building costs are enormous and there is huge scope for things to go horribly wrong for those who do not know about it and get taken for a ride.

11. Thanks for all your replies. Doing that rough calculation it would cost more to extend. And given the route of architect, planning, builder and delays which would prob take over a year, we have decided to move. So house is about to go on Market today (fast moving estate agent!). We've not moved in 11 yrs, so we are not looking forward to it. Still could be exciting finding a new house. Apparently there is a lack of our style house on the Market around here because not many want to move once they get here. So here's hoping it makes this a desirable neighbourhood.

12. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Good choice, I am a builder, a particularly tidy one, and there is still no way I would have myself 'in' for a year or so.