1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Move from Year 2 to Reception.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by LCE78, Jul 8, 2016.

1. LCE78

LCE78 New commenter

Hi,
    I am moving to reception in September after spending 5 years in Y2. I have had no experience in EYFS other than covering the odd lesson. I was hoping for any helpful hints and tips on how to survive the year as it is completely different to what I am used to!
    Any resources that you find useful or any bits of reading or websites/blogs I would need to do beforehand ? I have a variety of official documents that I have read but it is still a bit overwhelming with the information overload.
    Thank you for your help!

2. Gemget84

Gemget84 New commenter

Not sure how much I can help. I have recently qualified as an early years practitioner and currently looking for a job. I'm trying to compile resources for different themes so I have them to hand. I'm trying to cover seasons, festivals ,colours, space, animals etc.

Im sure you probably have access to loads of resources anyways which would make gathering all of them easy. Pinterest is great for early years advice and activities.

Where about are you based ? What documents are you working with?

Hope this helps a little

3. 123lalala456

123lalala456 New commenter

I am really interested to read any replies you receive. I wondered how others timetable their reception class; how much teacher input they do per day and how long do children have for continuous provision in comparison?

I can offer some useful websites; I have really liked looking at the blog abcdoes.com and I follow 'Mr Mc - Early Years' on facebook for some good ideas for September. I have also ordered printed copies of the EYFS Framework, Outcomes and Development Matters from Amazon, a publisher called 'Shurville Publishers/Publishing' has simply printed the pdf's from gov.uk but with a nice cover and if you're like me, and prefer reading things in a proper book rather than online, then it'll be a good reference for planning etc... :)

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I can highly recommend a book called "The Reception Teacher's Year In Action" by Anna Ephgrave, which gives a really good overview of what a year in Reception might look like. Each chapter covers a month of the year, so in September it talks about setting up the classroom, home visits, etc. The whole book is a fairly easy read, which is always good.

If you're interested in the theory behind the Early Years curriculum, I can recommend Julie Fisher's book "Starting From The Child". Early Years teaching is basically the opposite of teaching in KS1, where the teacher plans the learning; in EYFS, the children come up with the ideas and the teacher responds to those ideas (immediately and in planning). If you have time for a not-too-weighty tome over the summer, then this book is a good choice.

dizzymai likes this.
  5. Milligantrainee

Milligantrainee New commenter

Hi all,
    Congratulations on the new role! So I was a secondary Drama teacher and changed to Reception in January of this year. My word - what a learning curve! But I have survived and loved it and as the saying goes, if I can, anyone can! I currently job share so the advice I am giving is taken purely from my very experienced job share colleague and the other full time reception teacher I have been blessed to work with. Also - I have been told that our setting is quite formal and structured so you may a much looser way of working in your reception class. Forgive me if you know any of this but I will just assume you know very little, like me.
    1) Long term plan: Each term/half term needs a focus and within that a weekly theme which can help you to structure your planning ideas within that week and provide inspiration. Your school will probably have one that you need/should follow. Ie ours for Autumn 1 is New Beginnings; Week 1 then will be the theme of Settling In, Wk 2 is All About Me, Wk 3 is My Family etc...
    Also, make sure that for each term you know what the RE, PD, ICT and PSED foci are and this will also inform planning.
    2) Timetable - ours covers the following daily routine, and the weekly timetable is written up and displayed in the class for any 'visitors':
    *Fit fingers as children come into the class in the morning (threading, lego, acrobats, multi-link cubes,moving pom poms with tweezers etc). Our class are divided into 3 groups, and so 3 activities are laid out ready, with a place name so there's no wandering about. This is written up each week and chn do a different thing each morning. 15 mins
    *Phonics (ours is whole school, with each class divided up according to ability). We start with phase 2 as a general rule and work up into phase 4 (sometimes 5) in reception. (Look at DFE Letters and sounds and learn this very quickly as it informs every aspect of your day to day teaching) 20 mins.
    *Child-initiated play, or CHIL. This is where your continuous provision comes into play - making sure your resources allow children to access the entire curriculum (so a maths area, construction, small world, creative area, role play (which should probably be a home corner in the first half term to allow children to feel a sense of familiarity), malleable/tuff spot, music, and of course literacy/phonics/mark making areas. We also have fit finger/maths challenge areas. Plus the outside area obviously.) In our school, the CHIL is actually adult initiated in terms of what is 'put out' for the children which I disagree with if your provision is good enough, but I wont be tackling that fight just yet. We have to record this also in a planning file. 1 hour.
    *Tidy up time - chn need direction with this ie have a rota/planned roles or just "Sarah you tuck all the chairs under the tables, Sophie collect all of the colouring pencils" etc. 5-10 mins
    *Snack time/play 20 mins
    *Literacy/Maths. about 10 mins max adult input, then off into smaller groups to complete an activity independently, anywhere between 15-25 mins activity dependent.
    *RE/PSED (interventions also around this time). 10 mins
    LUNCH
    *Register
    *EAD/PE/ICT etc as with Literacy/maths
    *CHIL 45 mins-1 hour
    *Tidy up time
    *Story time
    *Get ready for home time (allow PLENTY of time for this initially - I was super shocked when I first did this!)
    *Once they are ready, then you may want to do another adult input, story, question of the day, what did you learn today, song etc so they are calm when they leave.
    3)Have a reward system. We have sunshine, rainbow and pot of gold with daily certificates, or cloud/storm cloud with a visit to the head teacher.
    4)USE STICKERS!!!
    5) Look into Makaton (Ie Mr Tumble) for chn with communication difficulties. Most chn love it anyway in my short experience.
    6) TES and ahem, other resource sites, will become your best friend. DO not reinvent the wheel. There's no time. Spend your precious time on things that will have the biggest impact on children's learning.
    7) Have lists and lists and lists of the class. Once you get a sense of their ability, make group sheets for literacy (we divide our class into 3 groups), maths and then other... You could also plan learning partners for discussions and do this by mixed ability. We have to write notes on these group sheets for every adult led session Ie Maths/PE and comment on individual progress made which informs planning. In addition to the online learning journeys we complete.... :/
    8) Have name stickers/name cards for tables ready to help you to get to the know chn as quickly as possible.
    9) Make sure you a clued up on SEN/EAL/GT/FSM children so you can plan for their needs straightaway. Also, read up on any previous CP issues obviously.

Also - you need to make sure that you are receiving regular supportive observations and advice. You must have someone at your school you can go to for advice and to check your practise/ideas with.
    Good luck! I hope this goes some way to helping.
    PS PLEASE EXCUSE THE SPELLING AND GRAMMER - I did this in a rush!

6. Milligantrainee

Milligantrainee New commenter