1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Move from Secondary to Primary

Discussion in 'Primary' started by suttynco, Sep 15, 2011.

1. First of all I apologise for what is probably a repeatedly asked question but I am looking at the possibility of moving into primary teaching having completed a secondary PGCE in Geography.

This is not a spur of the moment thing, I have worked in an international school in Geneva for two years as a part time teacher and boarding house master after a PGCE year in the North East. I have recently taken a year out of the classroom due to personal reasons and want to return to teaching in the UK. I now however am considering a move to primary as this has been an area I have found the most enjoyable and rewarding to work in. I was lucky enough to have a few days cover in the primary sector of my last school and also found the most rewarding part of my PGCE to be the primary experience we were asked to undertake as part of the course. Since before I undertook my PGCE I was torn between Secondary and Primary but chose the former as I did not study a core subject at university but am now (and have been since my PGCE) regretting that decision.

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about converting to primary or the prospect of jobs for a teacher such as myself in a primary school ?

All help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Matt

2. First of all I apologise for what is probably a repeatedly asked question but I am looking at the possibility of moving into primary teaching having completed a secondary PGCE in Geography.

This is not a spur of the moment thing, I have worked in an international school in Geneva for two years as a part time teacher and boarding house master after a PGCE year in the North East. I have recently taken a year out of the classroom due to personal reasons and want to return to teaching in the UK. I now however am considering a move to primary as this has been an area I have found the most enjoyable and rewarding to work in. I was lucky enough to have a few days cover in the primary sector of my last school and also found the most rewarding part of my PGCE to be the primary experience we were asked to undertake as part of the course. Since before I undertook my PGCE I was torn between Secondary and Primary but chose the former as I did not study a core subject at university but am now (and have been since my PGCE) regretting that decision.

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about converting to primary or the prospect of jobs for a teacher such as myself in a primary school ?

All help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Matt

3. Do Primary supply until you score a long term sick/Maternity cover post, that will give you some nice solid experience and a reference in Primary, then start applying for positions or rinse and repeat until you feel ready to apply for positions.
    As you obviously realise you will up against Primary Trained NQTs, but if you can prove you worth doing the uncertainty route, and keep plugging away - depending on where you are in the country - you should be ok in the end, even though there aren't enough jobs for teachers.
    I did a some day to day for a couple of months and kept being asked back/glowing feedback to my agency, so they called on me when they needed someone for an emergency Maternity Cover (initially was a one day, then a one week and then a 10 month booking), that school asked me to return to do another Maternity cover a couple of months later, in the mean time I did some more day to day (including in the Maternity school) and then I applied for Perm jobs and got/accepted the 3rd I went for, applied for about 10 in total probably, 6 interviews from that. Admitedly that was a year ago, but people were saying then there weren't any jobs, so I can't think the situation has changed that much, just keep being a sparkly wonderful, I'll go over and above, supply teacher and you'll get a foot in the door.
    Good luck :)