1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mouse murderers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by inky, Dec 6, 2011.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

That's us. We have mice, and I can hear them as I type, but none so brave as the little *** we trapped yesterday and which had to be finished off with a broom handle by mr inky. The other night, it ran across the room as I was typing, and ran over my feet as it went. It was noisily vocal, brave in its foraging expeditions, and worthy of respect. It would peep out to check for danger and take a chance if I was there - zzziiipppppppppp!
    We both felt wretched after the mouse died. Mind you, the squeaks are getting louder and my regret is giving way to more murderous thoughts...

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

That's us. We have mice, and I can hear them as I type, but none so brave as the little *** we trapped yesterday and which had to be finished off with a broom handle by mr inky. The other night, it ran across the room as I was typing, and ran over my feet as it went. It was noisily vocal, brave in its foraging expeditions, and worthy of respect. It would peep out to check for danger and take a chance if I was there - zzziiipppppppppp!
    We both felt wretched after the mouse died. Mind you, the squeaks are getting louder and my regret is giving way to more murderous thoughts...

3. Goldopals

Goldopals New commenter

I am in an area which had a mouse plague near the beginning of the year. My cat would catch and dispose of them at home, but at school it was a different story.
    Mice were EVERYWHERE and used to run through classrooms as classes were being taught, which was a problem for discipline. Our students would step on them to kill them or (as much as I hate to admit it) play with them. Two year 9 boys played cricket using the mouse as a ball.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I do understand your feelings of regret, Inky, but they are disease-carrying little beggars and you've no real choice.
    On occasions in the past when I had no cat (although this was why I ended up getting a cat, to prevent further tenancies) and mice moved in, I found the only real answer was traditional 'Little Nipper' mouse traps.
    Rats moving in underneath your house - now that's deeply unpleasant...

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

i am pleased im not the only one witthose pesky blighters....i find traps are effective more thn poison.although sticky mouse traps work well as long as you have no compunction about killing them when they are caught alive....i dont, one blow sees them to mousey heaven.
    A new threat is some squirrels which seem to have taken to climbing the drainpipes to get to the roof.im sure some one has a loose tile into which they are going to build a drey!

6. Sickening.
    I deplore cruelty to animals. I hope you intervened?
    They might be pests but our instincts should tell us that a quick disposal is the least cruel way to end the life of a living creature. To taunt them, toy with them or make them suffer unnecessarily is not on.

7. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

Now I have " inky the mouse is my pet, he spilt the ink and got wet. the
    ink is spilt all over my desk, i i i inky is wet" going through my
    head. [​IMG]
    Seriously, if you get a proper mouse trap, lay it at night, it should dispatch the little blighters in one humane chop on the neck. There should be no survival is the trap is a good one. The other thing is to find the nest, there will be one, in a dark, quiet place usually, that is rarely disturbed. Stir things up a bit and they usually move on.
    They do sound quite cheeky and you may need to get advice from the council (though they could charge if you ask them to deal with the problem) depends on how many you have. Rats would be worse, also it's the damage. My neighbour a few doors down has lost a lot of christmas decorations that had sentimental value to them, because they were chewed / peed on by mice. Mice don't use the toilet, they just pee as they go, leaving a trail.
    Good luck!

8. Larsy

Larsy New commenter

I too despise cruelty to animals. Studies have shown that those who are cruel to animals regularly move on to humans. I would be deeply concerned at any child or adolescent taking part in such activity with I assume the tacit permission of those in authority.
    Everything has a right to life & before you start flaming me, I have had to deal with infestations which I dealt with in a humane way.
    Mice and rats are not the disease-carriers that society would have us believe, in fact the birds you feed in your garden carry more harmful viruses.
    Furthermore there is such a thing as a humane trap you know, you just need to spend a bit more time trapping the animal then setting it free far from your house. Sticky or glue traps are incredibly cruel, the animal dies of hunger or thirst or from trying to chew limbs off to escape. Utterly sickening. Use humane traps, then seal up the holes that the mice are using to get in. Make sure no food is left lying around and that there is nothing they could use as bedding. If you remove what the mice are using to set up camp at yours, they'll move on.
    "The true touchstone of our character is the way we treat those weaker than us"

9. Middlemarch

This gave me visions of mice taunting Inky with irreverent comments and the council sending a bloke round to deal with them:
    Bloke: Oi! Clear off, you cheeky buggers! Show a bit of respect for Mrs Inky.
    Mouse: Bog off, baldy.

10. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

All well and good, but if you live in the countryside, they're everywhere. No one here has any sympathy whatsoever for mice, moles or rabbits, they're darn nuisances.

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

We use a Trip-Trap, then drop them over the fence for next-door neighbour's cat to have a snack.

12. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Our cat plays with mice, for her snack she loves rabbits........naughty girl !

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

[​IMG]
    plus the appropriately-named
    [​IMG]

Works every time.

Is it cruel snuffing it in a split second whilst eating a huge lump of chocolate? I can think of worse ways to go...

14. When I had a little rodent infestation, I tried the humane method. I bought the 'nice traps' and planned to release them up the road in the lovely field where they could run free and be happy.
    The little *** took the ****, stole the chocolate and peanut butter out of the traps and continued to live well fed and for free under my roof.
    So, nice swift catchy, killy traps were bought. It took a bit of time, but mousies were dutifully caught and Daddie came round to empty the traps for me (because I couldn't touch them myself!).
    Next door bought a cat, we bought a dog and we've had no problems ever since!

15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We had mice this time last year. Cutting off their food source by making the cupboard more secure helped but we did catch one in a humane trap.
    Mr BS opened the trap to check that we had a mouse and then walked it away from the house and let it off on a farm track. Sadly the mouse fell out a little corpse. He clearly scared it to death when it looked in the trap. So much for the humane trap!

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My cat brought in a live one once while I was standing ironing. She let it go and it started heading for refuge under the sofa. I whipped off my slipper and flattened it, it was pure instinct and I had no idea I could react so quickly.
    Another time the cat brought one in to keep as a pet. It lived on top of the curtain rail looking down on me until one morning I came downstairs to a tail and a little pile of innards.

17. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Cats do have their uses with mice, but not always. I well remember opening a cupboard to get out a tin of cat food while the cat in question sat patiently at my feet. Sitting on top of the cat food tin was a mouse.
    Did my cat leap upon this interloper?
    Did my cat squeal with glee at the prospect of a snack?
    No!
    He didn't even twitch a whisker!!![​IMG]

18. Middlemarch

When I was a toddler, my parents got a Boxer puppy to keep my mum company and safe whilst she was in the house with two small children (my dad worked the night shift down the pit).
    When the Boxer was about a year old, my mum - terrified of the wee beasts - saw a mouse in the front room one night, so she got the dog out from its bed in the kitchen, shoved it in the front room and closed the door.
    She heard a lot of scuffling and then silence. On opening the door, the Boxer was cowering in a corner in a puddle of wee.

19. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I knew the "Christmas mouse" was back last week when I found a fresh dropping in a spoonful of cereal at breakfast. It had obviously got into the cupboard, clambered into the cereal box and done its business. I was nearly sick. Everything is in sealed containers now.
    We seem to get a mouse ( I know it has family somewhere ) at this time every year. Probably a field mouse. The last one got caught bang on midnight on Christmas Eve; we heard the trap go in the kitchen.
    Glad I'm not the only one!

20. inky

inky Lead commenter

The idea of a sticky trap is repellent to me. Maybe it's because mice are, in their humble way, fellow-mammals. As for humane traps, they are a rather NIMBY alternative. Either you live in Friendly Fellowship with the little *** or you dispatch them as quickly as you can.
    Fitted kitchens leave hidden spaces that are perfect for mice, by the way. There's a whole new world, that you can't see, under the units. My big fear with mice is that they will chew through the electrics. Fortunately, mr inky's cooking style ensures that there is often [for a short while] plenty of food on the kitchen floor. Rather that than... I'm too superstitious to finish that sentence.
    I admired the brave little mouse that ran over my feet, so I couldn't help but feel a little sympathy for it. I t was very vocal mouse, and I'm still trying to work out what it was saying to its family.

As for the post about the bad school infestation and boys playing cricket with the mice - words fail me.