1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

mouse allergy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Sep 17, 2018.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Our flat is in a terraced house that is is more than 200 years old. Keeping mice at bay is a constant challenge. We recently returned to it after two months away and the wretched things had been having a field day. Within a day, I was quite ill,

I've just googled mouse allergy symptoms and have realised that I'm severely allergic to mice. The symptoms are severe and very unpleasant.

Does anyone else on here have any advice/shared experience? Should I go it alone or call in Rentokil?

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Do you own this flat? If rented then the landlord might help.

Otherwise try traditional traps. But get quotes from Rentokil. It can't harm

It can harm the mice but that's kinda the point.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

Rentokil are expensive and will only reduce the problem temporarily unless all your neighbours take simultaneous action. I'd get a cat.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The local authority's pest control or Environmental Health team can give you help and advice in dealing with problems with pests and vermin.

Local authorities will have a pest control service which you might be able to use, although there'll probably charge for it if you're not a local authority tenant. Independent pest control companies can also help, but they may be more expensive than the local authority's service.

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Good point in post #2.

An old house. How do you prevent it recurring? The cat is a good idea. I can't lend you mine unfortunately. She's brilliant at catching mice etc.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

Mice get into buildings, it’s just what they do. They can squish their little bodies into the tiniest of holes, it only needs to be big enough for their skulls apparently!

Old buildings always have gaps and cracks so it’s a constant game of find that hole - fill that hole before the mice do.

A cat really is the best option. Unlike poison or traps their very presence acts as a deterrent, and any mice daft enough to venture into a cat’s domain tend to regret it.

If Downing St couldn’t keep the mice out any other way then it’s doubtful you’ll be more successful.

Any cat would be helpful, my toothless 13 year-old caught one, as did the tubby three legged one.

Female cats are slightly better hunters I think, probably to do with needing to be, due to being the sole provider for a litter of hungry kittens.

Time to call Cats Protection...

agathamorse likes this.
  7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

As much as I am for everyone to be adopted by a cat,I think the OP travels a lot and is often away.

8. forthejoyofit

forthejoyofit New commenter

Where my daughter lives, it's her cat that brings the mice in in the first place. He fetches them in alive and they run off and hide in all sorts of places.
    I'd get a Jack Russell.

cissy3, agathamorse, lrw22 and 2 others like this.
  9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I have the same problem, 19th century terraced house (problem with the mice that is, I'm not allergic). It is very hard to stop them coming in through tiny holes and cracks from neighbouring houses. And this time of year, as it starts to get colder, they'll begin to come in from outside as well.

A cat isn't practical for us so it's eliminate with mouse traps. I usually manage to get rid of them. But a couple of month's later they're back. I've got used to the idea that I'll never get rid of them permanently, just something you have to live with in old houses.

Don't bother paying pest control companies for mice. It'll cost you a fortune because you keep having to get them back. I doubt your local council will offer anything more than an advice leaflet or link to a website. My council is clear that they don't consider mice to be a pest that requires the council to do anything. In their view mice are just a part of the natural local wildlife that's chosen to come indoors for a bit! A rat yes, they'll be round like a shot. Mice, they're not interested.

I use the traditional wooden traps. They're cheap, get lots of them. You need to practice setting them very finely or the mice will get the food off them without setting them off. For bait try Mars bars and peanut butter.

Other tip I was given is to keep kitchen scrupulously free of an food crumbs. With a bit of luck they'll get hungry and fed up and go somewhere else! When mice appear I sweep the kitchen floor every night before going to bed. and make sure not a crumb left on work surfaces. At one time they getting into one of my food cupboards and chewing at food packets. I ended up putting all the food in those tough plastic storage boxes. The mice couldn't chew through those.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It'd be nice to think that's enough.
    But my friend had a mouse problem, and having effected the above and plugged all discernible holes. she then found that they were continuing to enter in order to feast on a pair of microwaveable lavender infused wheat slippers which were still in their original gift box from auntie at Christmas...
    Good. This effectively prevented her from gifting them on, for example, to me...

agathamorse likes this.
  11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Infallible if you don't mind disposing of ex-mice. It's how we cleared them from our attic.

When they got inside our camper van and started gnawing on the wiring loom in the engine compartment I went down the bait box route, and I still leave the blue blocks of doom fixed inside empty chewing gum pots with cable ties as a deterrent. The problem with bait though is the risk of secondary poisoning to mouse predators.

Some reckon that strong pongs can deter them, as they follow urine trails - essence of peppermint and so on. Having tried it there may be something in it.

Don't leave any potential food or nesting material within reach if at all possible, and remember they can climb brick walls when they want to.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Don't trust google. Go and get checked out by your GP. If your symptoms are severe you should get some treatment.

agathamorse and install like this.
  13. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

I lived in an old house in the country which was completely overrun with mice popping up through gaps in the floorboards and rustling around in the cornflakes box. Fortunately I inherited a cat who caught them all in a few weeks. Fantastic! However, he then started bringing in his own...

Most (if not all) of the mice in my home are brought in by my current cat, who then refuses to have anything to do with them. Really, getting a cat is definitely not a catch-all solution to a rodent problem. In fact, you’re just likely to end up with more problems, including rabbits, voles, birds, frogs and fleas, as well as hair balls, clawed furnishings and at least one cat hair in everything you eat and on everything you wear. Trapping is your best option.

I can’t cope with Little Nipper traps - what would you do if it only caught a foot or a tail? So I put down humane traps and release them in the field. Sometimes they are brought back inside again the next day, but I do my best. I know you’re supposed to take them miles away, but I don’t think that applies if they didn’t come in of their own accord in the first place.

yodaami2, install and forthejoyofit like this.
  14. install

install Star commenter

Gotta be get 2 cats everytime :) Get someone to pop in and look after them if you are away alot...

15. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Thank you install but we're a away for two months at a time and live on the second floor, so it wouldn't really be kind.

16. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Our attic was home to a mouse colony one winter, so we tried various methods. The live-catch humane traps are only humane if you free the panicking beasties quickly. I used to liberate the trapped mice in the MP's garden down the road... :oops:

Litttle Nippers are the best option. However, the intended target has to approach it head-on for a swift death. We nailed the Nippers to a heavy piece of wood, baited and armed the trap, then slipped it inside a dead-ended "tunnel" made of wood and card. A cut down cornflakes box would do just as well. The mouse has no choice but to approach the Mars Bar bait correctly oriented. A swift death should then ensue.

17. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

But neither are as expensive as Rentokil

18. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

The allergy is a real bummer at times.

19. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Thank you for all your suggestions xxx

20. Lazycat

Lazycat Senior commenter

We had the same problem. The useless cat would bring then in and set them free in the house. I also worry about mice eating poison and then taking themselves off somewhere inaccessible to die. This happened in my school and the smell was unbearable.

When we had a problem with mice we removed the food source bu storing it in very sturdy plastic boxes and set lots of traps. We had some success with humane traps - the mice were particularly attracted to dried cat food.