1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Motorcycle helmets, ecoutez bikers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivartheboneless, May 20, 2019.

1. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Having been riding for several years, yet safety conscious, I decided to replace my helmet with a good one, a Shoei, chosen for its supposed better airflow reducing the "booming" that happens after about 50mph. It doesn't work that well, even at £240 and that wasn't the most expensive one. I still use earplugs too. However, how the hell do they manage to design a front air vent that allows insects through live? There should be some sort of mesh. I'm getting fed up of some flying thing buzzing around in my helmet after flying through the tiny vent in the front. A bee or wasp would not get through thankfully. It also has a vent on top and I have had to pull up in the past and remove my helmet because I can feel some bloody thing wriggling about in my hair between my bonce and the liner. And another thing, how the hell do the insects survive the encounter? Bees and others bounce off the visor occasionally, but other bugs go splat on it, usually leaving a string of vile green guts smeared.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

A first port of complaint is to the seller of th helmet and complain then the manufacture and them on forums to spread the bad news
    One could read reviews about your helmet on places like this and see if its a normal complaint
    https://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/category/shoei/

3. Ivartheboneless

Nothing about flies getting in. Maybe we have super mutant indestructible flies in North Wales.

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  5. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

The old adage in the motorcycling world is that if you have a cheap head get a cheap helmet. The implication being that you should choose the most expensive helmet being the best. I have always been opposed to such a principle partly because my life was saved by the cheapest helmet on the market (a BS2001 open faced plastic, the gouge marks were about half the depth of the plastic and the doctor at the hospital was agog at the fact I was still walking and talking.)

I have always advised (when I used to teach motorcycling up to Advanced standard) that the priority should be fit and comfort with wind noise being one of the comfort factors. This was based on the fact that all the standards used for helmets were more than adequate to the task.

In many ways, helmets are too good, the head will be fatally damaged long before the helmet is even dented. So yes, back to fit and comfort. I understand why there are lots of vents but not why there are not fly screens. It is possible to get semi-rigid plastic mesh, it just depends whether you can get access.

6. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Am not against crash helmets at all but I did find my full face lid was a hindrance when I took my first real crash.

Late for a ferry and then took a wrong turning, so I speed up and yes, suddenly realise the bend I am taking is 90 degrees and not sweeping.....into the hedge I go and I am catapulted over it and start to fly across a field.

As I am flying I could feel how the lid was removing any chance I had of using peripheral vision to help gauge my surroundings or my balance - I was lost and I flew aimlessly.

Rolled along a bit and landed on my back. Opened my eyes and about ten cows had come over to check me out.

I started wearing open lids after that. I just felt that yes, the lid was protecting my head but not giving the rest of my body good odds as I was airborne.

oldsomeman and nomad like this.
  7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Surely Shouei go on your foeit?

You need an Ogri helmet, mate!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  8. Ivartheboneless

I decided to investigate. I assumed that some human had put the helmet together (there might even have been instructions when I bought it, but who reads them!;)). I managed to take apart the front and top vents, remove all the bits of chitnous exoskeleton. I have made a filter out of a section of one of those cheap dust face masks and stuck it over the inlet. Should keep the buzzy bu**ers out! But why the hell they do not come with a mesh I do not know. I would never wear other than a full face helmet because your chin/jaw is protected.

9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Perhaps you are doing it wrong

EA38AF4F-52C2-4B42-B0FE-87BE2C3A06A2.jpeg

oldsomeman likes this.