1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

motorbike robber in court

Discussion in 'Education news' started by dunnocks, Jun 9, 2018.

1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

The 14-year-old, who cannot be named because of his age, went on a crime spree with an accomplice around Hornsey, Crouch End and Muswell Hill on Thursday afternoon, Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court heard.

Judge McPhee made the defendant repeat his bail conditions back to him before releasing him from the courtroom.

Neither of the defendant's parents was present in court, and Judge McPhee ordered that they attend on the next occasion.

Neither of the defendant's parents was present in court

I think we've maybe found the problem.....

2. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

I think I read that the police only caught the boy on the back of the moped and the one driving rode off. Hope they caught him too in the end.

3. fineliner

fineliner Occasional commenter

Nah. You can’t blame this on parents. It’s clearly the fault of teachers.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I'm not sure what the protocols are with young offenders, but they may not have known.
    A friend of ours was horrified a few years back to read in the local paper about the resistance to arrest of one of her sons, the rowdy journey to the police station and then the court appearance with a large fine. He was older than 14 but had managed to keep the whole thing from his parents.

5. fineliner

fineliner Occasional commenter

Parents (or carers) have to be informed when a child is arrested. Kids can’t usually been interviewed if their parents are not present.

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Not only should they be present, they should be co-accused.

7. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Two things amuse me about this kind of crime.

Firstly, that if the criminal throws away his helmet the police will give up the chase. If a criminal gets killed in the process of committing a crime, or evading arrest then this is a big bonus!

Secondly, how hard can it be to force a 14 year old boy to reveal his accomplice? A cattle prod or a jar with a few bullet ants in it should produce a very quick response.

Shedman and woollani like this.
  8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

And the world is well rid on another piece of vermin.

9. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Lead commenter

The problem is the poor old copper would then be suspended pending endless legal procedures and even if exonerated the copper is so stressed by the experience he/she would leave the force.

10. David Getling

You are absolutely right. That is the problem! And the parasitic lawyers grow rich persecuting decent hard-working coppers.

11. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

not any more, police have been told to continue to pursue now, whether they keep their helmets on or not.

12. David Getling

Very good to hear!

13. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Established commenter

What happened to due process?

14. ridleyrumpus

Next time I read about teachers all being left wing pinko bar stewards. All I need do is direct them to this thread.

Assumption of guilt and good riddance? Really?

Jamvic likes this.
  15. Oscillatingass

You see, the problem with "due process" is that the 14 year old criminal who has caused untold psychological and financial damage to a number of people will walk away free to continue his criminal activity and there isnt a thing anyone can do to stop it. I would suggest the majority of people would consider this to be wrong and thus seek redress without recourse to "due process". Feel free to be "outraged" and I sincerely hope you are not the next victim.

monicabilongame likes this.
  16. ridleyrumpus

You are assuming guilt, we have a system of justice in this country that is based on the principle of innocent unless proven guilty.

Because the process appears to be broken you appear to be prepared to throw away the principle of due process and innocent until proven guilty. Those principles are the bedrock of a civilised society, remove them at your peril.

Personally, I think that it the process is failing it is not the principle of due process that is failing but the process built around it. I will fight tooth and claw for the principals of justice to be retained.

If you are prepared to have others judged and "redress" obtained without some form of due process then do not complain when you are "judged" and sentence passed when YOU accused even if you are completely innocent. You cannot pick and choose who is granted due process, it is either all of us or non of us.

17. David Getling

NO! Most of the conversations in this thread talk about criminals caught in the act. No assumptions here, they are guilty! But, no doubt, you want to give their mothers and lawyers a chance to spin some hard luck story (at the taxpayers' expense) before some judge and jury.

18. Oscillatingass

If I decide to race around on a stolen moped robbing people of their hard-earned possessions I know I can rely on people like your self to defend my right to do so. As I am in reality a law abiding citizen it is pretty unlikely I will be accused of anything let alone convicted without due process. I have absolutely no sympathy for parasites who contribute nothing to society and who make a living by inflicting misery on those who do.

David Getling and Shedman like this.