1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Motor insurance and speeding points

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon468, May 23, 2011.

1. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Just had a phonecall from husband to inform me that he's been done for speeding (again... *sigh*), so that's another 3 points on the licence, a £60 fine and another heinous hike in insurance premiums. Great. [​IMG]
    Do I need to inform our insurers immediately or do I wait until renewal?
    Thanks.

2. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

It is worthwhile checking your policy to see when they expect to be informed, but as said above, they only need to know (and want to know) if you have been prosecuted - your husband is probably referring to the NIP he has received. (Notice of Intent to Prosecute). Telling them after he has paid or gone to court will then only affect the premium (if at all) at renewal. The spin here is many people believe their insurance companies will not load premiums, but that is often because those which do not are ripping you off in the first place - the real good value insurers won't quote you with 3 or more points and as they don't come up on the searches, we believe the others must be good value. (I thought I was going to be prosecuted, my insurers said they'd refuse cover if I did.....I paid £200 a year with them. Another competitor's quote came back at £350 and the company here said 'we will not worry about your 3 points'.)

3. Take his keys away. Then tell the insurance company that he won't be driving the car again. That should reduce your premiums and hubby can discover the joys of public transport.

cyolba, the man with more points than West Ham :)

4. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Thanks for your replies folks (and thanks for making me laugh cyolba!).
    Have contacted insurers and the price of our insurance will definitely rise immediately for the remainder of the term of the policy. The amount depends on the offence (we don't even know what kind of SP charge it is yet). I did a quick test online and it looks like it could be arond £20 per policy (we have 2 cars and he's insured to drive both of them).
    So all in it's going to cost around £100.
    Planning to get rid of one of the cars if employment situation doesn't improve.
    F*** my life. [​IMG]

5. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

My insurance didn't go up at all when it happened to me.

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Please tell me the name of your insurer!
    (love your avatar BTW - *swoon*)

7. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I used to go with Direct Line and have switched to the Co-operative.
    Adam Ant in his heydey was simply the sexiest man ever to have lived. Fact.

8. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Excellent, thanks very much. I switched from Direct Line to Swiftcover, but never thought about consulting the Co-operative.
    And I agree (re Adam Ant).
    Unplug the jukebox... [​IMG]

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Punish him with a diet of foreign food for the next year!

10. DON'T INSURE WITH THE COOP!!!!
    That is all I have to say! [​IMG]

11. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!! I feel a cunning plan taking shape, lapin. [​IMG]
    First stop, baba ganoush. Oh yes!

12. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Falafel and hoummos for breakfast with warm pitta bread.

13. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Mmmmmm - that'll ding, dang do for me! *drool*
    Had a fantastic sandwich in Edinburgh last week - warm ciabatta with falafel, hoummos and chilli jam. Served with salad and kettle chips.