1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Motivational quotes...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Don't groan - I know we all find most of them gruesome and corny.
    But does anyone have any GOOD ones?
    I need them for ...a tree (don't ask, it will save us all the pain!).

2. I've always liked:

If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants

as said by Isaac Newton. Gets me thinking of how our own small individual contributions can be combined, and how we can learn from others.

3. That is a good one.
    So far I also have:
    Am Baum der guten Vorsätze gibt es viele Blüten aber wenig Früchte - which is from Confusius but I have no idea of the English.
    and
    There are two kinds of people, those who do the work and those who take
    the credit. Try to be in the first group; there is less competition
    there.
    Indira Ghandi
    and
    Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people
    always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can
    become great
    Mark Twain

4. anon468

anon468 New commenter

To err is human. To forgive, divine.

5. Was that Pope?

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

That's the fella!

7. Oh and if Beth or any other German speakers are around - do you have an English version of this? Google isn't helping [​IMG]
    The tree of good intentions provides many flowers but little fruit? (that is my translation but I don't want to argue with guru Confusius).

8. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Reminds me a bit of:
    The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

9. anon468

anon468 New commenter

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
    Maya Angelou

10. 'Ships in a harbour may be safe but that is not what they were built for.' Anon - as far as I know.

11. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I spent a lot of money on booze, fast cars and faster women, the rest I just wasted.
    G Best
    (paraphrased - I CBA to look it up)

12. Life: Don't take it personally........ Stuart Wilde

13. Having worked for an organisation where we had a "quote of the week"...I have always founds these to be inspirational:

http://despair.com/viewall.html

14. hahahahaha - some of those are really funny! Kind of sum up my feelings after yet another dull training course [​IMG]

15. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

The (Russian) co-worker of a friend said sagely of some sackless hack: " As Stalin said: get rid of the person, get rid of the problem'".

Other good advice: Don't and be sure not to forget to".

16. "No man made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little"
    Edmund Burke.

17. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

" He who dares wins" - Derek Trotter

18. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

The straight and narrow way would be a lot wider if more people used it.

CharlesSchultz ?

19. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

On the tree of good intentions are many blossoms (which produce) but few fruits. So well done Celticqueen ( italics are mine to help understand the meaning but without would be more Confucious).
    My favourite quote is from Thomas Edison " I have not failed. I've just found 1,000 ways that won't work" (the number of failures varies according to where you look).
    I presume the tree is for your Mum so you need to have something special to her.

20. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

and some from Dr Seuss
    "Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
    "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."
    "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..."
    Today is your day, your mountain is waiting. So get on your way."