1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Motivational Maths Workshop

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by davidhyner, Mar 11, 2012.

1. I am in the process of launching a motivating maths workshop to run alongside our other events aimed at C/D borderline students.

To ensure that we are getting the message right, I would value feedback from maths teachers on the key elements they consider should be included or avoided in the content, and what in their opinion is the reason so many students fear or are demotivated by maths?

Thanks
    David Hyner

2. I am in the process of launching a motivating maths workshop to run alongside our other events aimed at C/D borderline students.

To ensure that we are getting the message right, I would value feedback from maths teachers on the key elements they consider should be included or avoided in the content, and what in their opinion is the reason so many students fear or are demotivated by maths?

Thanks
    David Hyner

3. Get parents on side and have appropriate material at hand.

4. mevdog1971

mevdog1971 New commenter

They fear it because they cannot do it and know it is considered a key indicator of success, hence they are being labelled as "failures".
    This may be due to a fundamental lack of ability but more likely due to being poorly taught for years on end.
    IMO, a "C" grade is shockingly easy to attain and it is unbelievable around 50% (I believe) of Y11 students cannot achieve it.
    Incidentally, if students have not been motivated until this stage, what exactly is going to change? Why has motivation not been built into every lesson?