1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Motivational maths material for pupils?!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by BeckySmith_17, Jan 25, 2012.

1. I am a NQT and I am finding it hard to keep the pupils in my class motivated during maths lessons. I teach year two and I've tried different ways of getting through to them but it just doesn't seem to work, they dont seem to be interested at all. I've attempted creating my own resources and using them and they grabbed the attention of some of the pupils but it did nothing to the others. I then tried to adapt resources off websites like TES to suit my learning style and this grabbed the attention of a few more but I still did not have the whole class engaged. I took this problem up with the subject manager in the school and she advised me to attempt using some of the resources provided by the school themselves and they were good but I felt as though they still weren't enough. I'm really stuck now cause I feel as though I've tried everything I can do and nothing seems to be working.

Any ideas/suggestions/thoughts anyone could suggest?

Any constructive feedback would be much appreciated! :)

2. I am a NQT and I am finding it hard to keep the pupils in my class motivated during maths lessons. I teach year two and I've tried different ways of getting through to them but it just doesn't seem to work, they dont seem to be interested at all. I've attempted creating my own resources and using them and they grabbed the attention of some of the pupils but it did nothing to the others. I then tried to adapt resources off websites like TES to suit my learning style and this grabbed the attention of a few more but I still did not have the whole class engaged. I took this problem up with the subject manager in the school and she advised me to attempt using some of the resources provided by the school themselves and they were good but I felt as though they still weren't enough. I'm really stuck now cause I feel as though I've tried everything I can do and nothing seems to be working.

Any ideas/suggestions/thoughts anyone could suggest?

Any constructive feedback would be much appreciated! :)

3. Could you give some more information about the type of resources you've been using and what a typical lesson looks like. What triggers the kids going off-task and, finally, what objectives have you got coming up in the next few weeks?