1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Motivation

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by araddon, May 2, 2012.

1. I am finding it ridiculously hard to get motivated for my recent essays. This is more than likely because overall I don't find them that interesting but know that sadly they do need to be done. Any tips on how to get motivated? Other than there being a deadline and this counting towards the final grading of my degree?

2. I am finding it ridiculously hard to get motivated for my recent essays. This is more than likely because overall I don't find them that interesting but know that sadly they do need to be done. Any tips on how to get motivated? Other than there being a deadline and this counting towards the final grading of my degree?

3. Well your last point is basically it. You can't really tailor your essays to your interests nor can you try and force yourself to enjoy what you're doing. I got through mine from just pure determination. I absolutely despised doing them, but I knew I had to and I just tunnel-visioned in the last week before the deadline.

Force yourself, it's the only way! Get rid of any distractions, I find this can be the worst way of ducking out of doing the work.

4. Ways for motivating yourself...
    1. Treat yourself like a student with a short attention span - clear list of short tasks then a little reward after each one.
    2. Write 200 words a night. Even if it cuts you off mid-sentence. This way, they get done, but you're guaranteed not to have to do much every night.
    3. Aim to do something for just 5 minutes. Just 5 minutes, then you can go do that hugely more important thing you want to do instead (washing-up, writing shopping list, cleaning the bathroom, ..[insert other procrastination activity here]..). You might find this tricks you into getting more done than just 5 minutes' worth.
    Otherwise I usually just let deadlines motivate me - if it's a big task I tend to do most of the slog work just after it is set (eg. research, data gathering) and end up two days before the deadline writing lit.reviews/analysing data/doing the rest of it all.

5. Thanks for the advice guys :) My uni is a bit of a pain in that all of the deadlines end up being around the same time. Think that's half the reason I find it so hard to actually want to do it - I just end up feeling overwhelmed by how much there is and how soon. But next Friday and I am alllll done. Also got an essay back with a rather nice mark on so thats boosted my confidence/motivation a little bit too :) Thanks for all the tips - will defo be using them :)